Sunday, July 15, 2007
One of the more difficult parts of living so far from home is that you tend to think life will remain the same for everyone you've left behind.

I may just be a very selfish person for thinking it, but I may have harboured some hope that I could come home anytime, and nothing nor no one would have changed or moved on. As if life back home stood still in time waiting for my arrival to start-up again.

Alas, this egocentric fantasy gets tainted for me every time the slightest thing happens back home and I'm not around to see it first-hand. Silly things like when my dad bought a new car last month, or my brother getting a new Macbook (how am I going to mess around with it from here!?). Then there are things like life events of friends - engagements, marriages and babies.

I know what others have told me is true. I will see everyone soon and hopefully get to enjoy other moments in their life and I'm after a certain goal so it's just a sacrifice.

But then there are times, like today, when there is a death in the family and while everyone is grieving together at home, I feel like I've been stranded and have no shoulder to lean on other than over the phone. That's probably the most self-absorbed thing to think - how I cannot grieve like everyone else. Rather than think of what my family is going through I'm being selfish.
I was away this past weekend in Sydney, touring and having fun. When I got back this morning and called home, no one told me what happened because I'd been sick and was exhausted from the trip. So I rambled on about inane things and didn't pick up why everyone sounded 'off'. Later in the evening (at home) my mom called to tell me. By this time pretty much all of our relatives and friends had found out. Somehow I became one of the last.

The relative who passed away lived in India, somewhere I've been dying to go since my last trip was when I was about 6 years old. I remember right before my sister was born, some eight and a half years ago, I was thinking about how time was going by so quickly and all these relatives I had in India who I barely remembered but who talk about me as if I was right there. Heavy thoughts for a 16 year old. Since we don't have any family in Canada, and not the big of a family anywhere else, I hoped always to meet my paternal grandparents as well as my maternal grandmother's only sister and her family.

A few weeks before my sister was born, my paternal grandfather passed away. He was always someone my dad spoke so highly of and endlessly about. I had hoped I'd get the chance to hear stories from him about my dad's childhood and his own. When I heard of his death, I grieved for the grandfather I had missed meeting and all my missed chances. Still all about me...

Today my maternal grandmother's only sister passed away. And after hearing so many things from my grandmother about her, I was looking forward to a trip to India to meet her. I feel like I've missed something again. Like there are these gaps in my life that I'd been wanting to fill and now, never can.

I still cry today at moments when I miss my mom's brother - he passed away a month before I was born. He and my mom, being only a year apart, were very close. I rememberRuby saying in a post of hers awhile ago that you cannot miss what you don't know. I've struggled with that for a long time since being a kid. I thought it was weird for me to miss someone I never even had the chance to meet. But I think when I hear about how happy and excited he was to have heard he was going to be an uncle, I think of all the moments in my life he would have been around for.

For some reason I miss my uncle more than my maternal grandfather, who passed away when I was 2. My aunt (mom's only other sibling) says I was lucky since I was the only grandchild on their side to meet him. I don't think 'lucky' is a fit word though. Maybe I feel more attached to him for that reason though.

Regardless of all of this, I cannot get over the selfish thoughts floating in my head. I should be more concerned for everyone else in the family and how they are dealing with the loss in our family today. Instead I keep thinking about my loss.

Labels:

11 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
I am very sorry to hear about your loss. Moments like death remind us that there is a higher purpose in life and to Him we must all return one day. It is difficult of course when you are far away, and you need family nearby in moments like this - but they say the most of all things important to the departed are prayers of the living.

*Sorry for the maulvi like comment.

Blogger Hafsa said...
salams DJ!

I know what you mean. Tho I live with my immediate family, my extended's all in India.. and I've been missing all the weddings for years now. When we do go visit, I secretly hope that nothing's changed with them - though the reality is my cousins, younger than me, are now married.

Regarding grand parents, yeah, missed out spending time and learning from my grand father. When my grand father passed away, there wasn't much we could do for the relatives back home - you feel helpless. The only thing that works (and Alhamdulillah to that!) is DUA!

May Allah make it easy for you and your family, ameen

Blogger BanikaB said...
It's a sad reality for kids who do live away from home, especially brown girls. I remember when my dad was diagnosed with cancer, my family thought it would be best not to tell me until after exams. They thought that I wouldn't get suspicious with the phone calls from friends and family in the states giving updates on getting him into a clinic. Needless to say, it's lonely knowing you're the last to know.

As difficult as it is dealing with it on your own, it may also be a blessing. You're able to think about it and feel about it what you like, not what others tell you (as you often find is the case when someone passes away in a brown/Muslim household).

I find the most difficult thing is not being able to support your family, and knowing the role you played in your's, you may start feeling that very soon. Just remember, your family (and friends) want you to be safe and healthy and happy. Knowing those things would give them more comfort than anything else.

Blogger Sarah said...
Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un

Deej, I'm so sorry to hear about your naani's sister. It's hard to deal with death in general and because you're not around the family and able to deal with it together, it'll be tougher.. but they're only a phone call away. Take comfort in knowing it's Allah's will and He knows best. Insh'Allah we'll all be reunited in the Hereafter :) Keep making duaa and I will remember her in my duaa's as well.

P.S. WE ALL MISS YOU!!! It just isn't the same without you here.

Blogger Sarah said...
I know what you mean on both counts -- on being away from everyone you know and on missing what you couldn't possibly know. My mother's older brother died before my mother even started kindergarten, and I've always wondered how different life would have been had he lived to adulthood, and what it would have been like to have him as an uncle and any of his potential children as cousins.

I hope that you're able to talk more with your family about all of this!

Blogger youngMuslimah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger youngMuslimah said...
I know how you feel.I never got the chance to get to know my grandparents. they passed away yrs back..Recently my nani's sisters came over and I just cried after meeting them:(

Make du'a, may Allah (swt) make it easy for you n yr family.

Blogger AKA said...
I thank you all for your kind comments and I cannot really explain how much I appreciate you taking the time to write them to me, maulvi-like comments or not :). As well, thank you for sharing your own stories with me (comments, emails etc), it really does help to know you're not alone. My family is doing much better.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Oh honey I am so sorry to hear of your loss, my du'a and thoughts are with your family and with you. May Allah ease your pain and keep the good memories strong. It is harder to deal with big events like this when you're far away because you'd like to be with your family, being supportive and being there for them because that's the type of person you are and I'm sorry you can't be. If there's anything I can do, even pop in and give your salaams to your family here in India please do let me know. *hug*

Blogger singlemuslimah said...
I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Don't feel selfish; it's always harder to deal with loss when you don't have a support system around. And there's nothing wrong with missing your missed chances. One of my mom's brothers passed away before I was even born but the way everyone talks about him, I've always found myself wishing I could have known him. Same goes for my paternal grandmother; she died when I was two.

I know just how it feels to miss things back home. You start to feel like a stranger in a strange land. Life goes on without it and for some reason, it just feels off.

Blogger 'liya said...
Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss...my duahs are with your family.

Family is family and though things happen when you aren't there and it seems like you're missing out, they'll welcome you back with open arms and you'll be able to join right back in. It's okay to feel selfish, just think, you're one person missing all of them, but so many people are missing you.