Friday, June 01, 2007
"It's 11:10pm and I'm hungry - ate an early dinner in the library and there's nothing in my room to snack on (mental note: do groceries for room). I'm going to have to resort to vending machine munchies.

"Where the hell is my wallet? DID I LEAVE IT IN THE LIBRARY!?!??! OH NOOOOOOOOO! I DID DIDN'T I!? And now it's CLOSED!! What am I going to do?? Call the Security office? No...the old Aussie men will look at me like I'm strange and laugh. But then I NEED my money! What the - oh here it is. (mental note 2: get a brighter coloured wallet so it does not camouflage itself inside my backpack)...

"Bag of chips costs HOW MUCH?! $1.80?? That is highway robbery! Student robbery. I'm setting up a petition - "Lower Cost of Vending Machine Snack for Starving Students", "LCVMSSS" for short (Mental note 3: find out who to complain to about ridiculously high junk food prices.). Need more change....must hunt through messy room...

15 minutes later...

"Okay, I've searched through coat pockets, drawers, purses, backpack, shoes, pants, makeup case, fridge (still don't know how I found a quarter in there last time...) and I only have...$1.25??? Oh God no....now what? One more search...

10 minutes later...

"So THAT'S where that hair clip went (mental note...some number...look under pillow for lost hair clips in the future). Still need $.55 ....I should give up and go to sleep. But I'm hungryyyyyyy. I miss mom. Mom would have food (mental note some number plus 1 - call mom).

"Must go to neighbour...hmmm it's 11:30pm, who'll be up? Loud Canadian-studying medicine guy? No...not him. Nice-girl-from-South-Africa? No I saw her while I went to the vending machine first on her way out for the night. OH! Giggly-Australian-business-law-girl! She's cool...yes!

2 minutes later...

"Aaaaand she's not home either. Great. Why does everyone have a life but me? Should I call a friend from another building...and embarrass myself for 55 cents? Nonononono....I have some dignity left at this point, despite searching my bathroom for change too..."

Just then my floor's RA came into sight from around the corner.

"YES!! YEEEEESSSSSS!!!! God Bless you Stephanie! May you always have exact change for every vending machine your eyes ever set on!"

Stephanie was more than happy to oblige and give me $0.55 so I skip down merrily to the vending machine and laughed in it's face...er, glass.

"Take that over-greedy chip makers of the world! TAKE THAT! I have arrived and with EXACT CHANGE! And here I am putting it in...making my selection aaaand- WHAT THE!?"

Chips were stuck in the little spinning arm that holds them in.

"Oh holy...I can't believe this. All that crazy searching...CURSE YOU MACHINE!!!"

Shaking it didn't help. The chips sat snug in their corner, innocently staring at me. Alright. I was defeated. Nothing could be done that wouldn't either label me an idiot so off to bed it was.

I got to my room and changed into pajamas and was folding up my jeans when a small "thud" sounded. My eyes glanced down at the carpet and lo' and behold - at $2 coin. I could've cried.
17 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Oh Deeja I'm in tears, you're too funny! I'm so glad you didn't find the toonie first, so much more entertaining this way!

Blogger Sarah said...
Hahahaha... those chips just weren't meant for you Deej! What's the currency in Aus.. hhhmmmm? is it called a loonie and toonie there too?

Blogger The Egg said...
At least I'm not alone with my peanuts and brownie addiction! Hehehe

Blogger 'liya said...
Did you kick/shake the machine? I guess it was just meant to be :D

Blogger AKA said...
Ruby - Are you laughing with me...or at me?? :P

Sarah - No, it'd be nice if it was but it's just a plain old $1 or $2 coin. But their gold coloured. I'll take a picture of it if I can soon...provided I get a new camera :(

The Egg - Now brownies I'd travel wherever I'd have to for change...

'liya - I kicked it out of frustration and it was a pretty solid machine so despite my attempt to shake it, it didn't budge. And then I remembered the stories about vending machines tipping over onto people who try shaking them so I stopped. When I found the $2 I went back and got 2 bags of chips...ate one and the other is still sitting in my room!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hahaha...very funny. We canadians and our endless change eh? But $1.85 for chips! I agree. But you know who it's meant to target :p.

Get this...I was at Lucent a couple weeks ago and it had vending machine PROUDLY stating with a brand new glittery and flashy sticker "Now accepting NEW $20 bill!" Woo hoo! My friend sticks in a 5, and the display says...."Please use exact change". Feeling of utter defeat!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Oh the melodrama of the munchies! I think we've all been there at one point or another, which is why I hope you'll forgive me for chuckling at this entry. I feel your pain girl, but damn you write it up funny!

Ari (Baking and Books)

LOL! I hate it when that happens! Or when you're craving food really bad and you have money but no car to get to where you need to get too!

Blogger En said...
Awww!! Well, I hope you didn't go to bed hungry!

Your story reminded me of a time in university when my friends had to fight with the vending machine to get our chips (we were working on a project in the lab on a Saturday and everything was closed on campus). I just might post about the story on my blog sometime!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
lol... in high school once I remember when they came out with the new redesigned quarter, the vending machine would think it's a dollar. It was almost a month before the school authorities figured out WHY that particular machine was always out of stuff!!!

PS. May I also point out your new banner the cup of chai is more than Half full...

Blogger Hafsa said...
how's school?

Blogger singlemuslimah said...
haha
That was so special. At least you didn't have to go hungry.

Blogger Hash & Hana said...
Hahaha... you should really be a writer!!

Blogger twistedbrick said...
Hey I think there's a mistake on your blog. You said that you'll be in Australia until April 2007 - don't you mean 2008?

Blogger Dugi said...
Hey
What units r u doing this sem?
I'm in the middle of exam atm.
Haven't heard from u...

Blogger youngMuslimah said...
hey AKA, I tagged you:) pls chk my post!

Blogger AKA said...
Mousehunter - LOL...I feel your friend's pain. There's got to be a petition we can sign somewhere...

Ari - Chuckle away...now that it's been awhile I think I can laugh at myself too :P

CS&B - EXACTLY. No money. No car. I feel homeless here sometimes lol.

Enyur - No I did eventually get the chips (plus another bag) when I found the other $2..!

Haleem - I need to find coins like that...

*Ahem* it is actually 'half' a cup...whether it's half empty or half full is up to you to decide.

Hafsa - ahhhh...a whole other post! Thanks for checking in - update on it soon :)

Single Muslimah - no, not hungry, but somehow wounded lol

Hana - lol i'm still trying to work on it, but so much work that I've put it aside for now. Thanks always for the support though.

Twistedbrick - thanks..! I didnt realize it until you pointed it out :)

Durga - thanks for checking in on me! I'll email you with an update soon :)

Young Muslimah - Thanks for the tag! I will update soon!