Wednesday, May 16, 2007
After so much thought and planning, I've finally landed in my new home for the next two years!

It took a long time to get internet access because I came earlier than when school was to start (pre-planned) since my family was travelling with me and the place where we were all staying was going through some big change-over from dial-up to wireless so had no internet. Internet cafe just seemed pricey so I had to wait until school started to get myself set-up.

[picture on the left is of Sydney taken while I was on the plane]
Thank you again to everyone who had been so wonderful in sending messages all throughout!

I had a lot of things I wanted to write about so I'm just going to have to break it down for y'all (Aussie styles)



[picture above is of the city of Brisbane]

Food (most important)

There are SO many restaurants in this city, I wonder how any of them make money. The good things is you have an amazing variety of food - Traditional Western, Thai, Arab, Indian, Malay, Indonesian, Japanese, Morroccan, Chinese - you get the picture. And many of the places are halal so it's great selection.

As for grocery items, I found pretty much everything the same as back home as for selection, except that it's a little more expensive here, but only by a couple dollars or so. But pop/soda (whatever you prefer) is expensive here so has caused me to break my - albeit, bad - habit of drinking Coke everyday. A regular 2L bottle will run you around $4AUD while a case of 24 cans can be from $18-24AUD. So, water it is (bottles also slightly more expensive but will have to do).

[picture on the right is of my dorm room (there's more to it, I promise, just can't see it because it's around the corner...)]





On campus there's a fair bit of selection - I never went to a university that had meal plans or anything so I don't know how it's supposed to be, but it seems fairly good in variety and taste. Since I am living on campus I have a meal plan, but my lovely parents got my a fridge and microwave so I can store things like cereal, bread etc in my room.

[picture on the right is the sunrise as seen from my family's hotel]


Transportation

I haven't seen as many bigger luxury cars here (your standard BMW, Benz etc) but they're still around. A lot more Toyotas and Hyundai cars with most of them being smaller hatch-backs or mid-size cars. You'll still see lots of SUVs and 4x4, but not as many as in Toronto I think.

Buses are clean and affordable - much more so than the TTC I think, but I never depended on that too much so I may be wrong. There are also many trains, but no subway system - which I believe can't be done because I think there are earthquakes here...?

[picture on the left is the beach in front of my parents' hotel]

People

Despite the reputation of being a more "racist" country, the people here have been nothing but welcoming and nice all around. They generally seem to have the same mannerisms as Canadians (they say their "please" and "thank you") and are talkative.

There isn't a huge deal of diversity where I'm living (but then again, I live in a city thats probably 60-70% Indian so I'm used to seeing that and other cultures) but still many people of various backgrounds.

People are very laid back here - flip flops are natio
nal dress code, but many people walk around barefoot everywhere in malls, outside etc (maybe it's where Britney Spears picked it up?). But girls are always dressed casual, but also dressed up, if that makes sense. The latest of every style is adorned by women of all ages. Men are also casual, t-shirt, shorts, flip flops. But with gorgeous weather there's nothing else you really need.

Social Life

I haven't really caught on to the social scene here because I've been trapped in the bubble of university life (which I've never experienced having lived at home during undergrad and off campus while in Michigan). But there are LOTS of shopp
ing centres here - all with and outdoor/indoor style so you get to be outside with the stores. The pictures below show some of it. There are tons and tons and TONS of clothing and shoe stores which puts me in a very dangerous place. So tempting, but no money...what's a girl to do!?!?! They have a lot of the big store names like we have in North America - Target, K Mart, Toys R Us and Tandy (which became Radio Shack in Canada, which is now The Source by Circuit City) so getting things for my room has been easy enough.




I really am enjoying myself here for the most part. My classes started this week so I'm back to the books and have been busy otherwise setting up my dorm room and meeting new people and exploring my new home away from home.

My family, who came here with me, got back home this past week but because I've kept busy I haven't been overly homesick. Though once my family left I did sit in my room just wondering how it is that I ended up all the way here...this time last year I was getting ready for Michigan!

[The picture on the left is of my dad and sister on the beach]

I'm sorry for the late post but the internet itself took awhile to get set-up and then everything else. I've been updating myself on everyone else's blogs as much as I can - though it's only been about 2 weeks or so, I feel so out of touch with everyone.

Hope you're all doing well.

P.S. VDG has actually mellowed out and become a very sweet and fun girl. Since she was the only person I knew when I got here we hung around together and she turns out to be quite the social butterfly so has managed to meet a lot of people which she has made a point to introduce me too so it's been fun getting to know her and others around campus.

P.P.S. Flickr is having many issues and won't upload all my pictures so I will try another way of getting around it soon...the ones above are just a few of them
19 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
YAY! You're back! It sounds so fantastic there D, I am so jealous!

Blogger youngMuslimah said...
assalamalaikum

WOW, I'm just wondering what the name of your city is!!

Great pics by the way, I hope someday I can visit the place!
btw- my bro is planning on australia..!

Blogger youngMuslimah said...
hey, try www.photobucket.com

Blogger 'liya said...
Lovely pictures! Everything looks so sunny and happy... I like the first one with the view of the water and land.. very pretty.. enjoy your getting settled in and keep use posted (with more pics)! :)

Blogger Ahmed said...
Wow, Australia looks awesome! Your pics have just bumped it up a bit on my list of places to visit hehe

Glad to have you back blogging and inshaallah you'll have an excellent time there :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I loved this post, thanks for taking the time to share some of your new life with us! I'm also glad you have internet access and are back with us in the blogosphere - Yay!! :)


Ari Baking and Books)

Blogger Dugi said...
flip flops/bare feet/casual beach clothes etc are very Queensland. Sydney/NSW , Melbourne/Vic are bit more classy and dressed up...mostly becoz of the weather differenece and being a corporate hub.

I'm surprised people think Aus is "racist"...QLD/Brissy is a bit more white majority than Sydney/Melbourne...but really Aus way friendly and multicultural.
Glad u r having a good time.

Blogger Roohi said...
Deeja!

I'm so happy that you're happy! :)

And that's all that matters.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Are you wearing the hijab there?

Blogger Recovering D said...
Anon-no sweetie, AKA has decided to become a bit more "Aussie" and has adopted the national wardrobe of Bikinis, flip flops and short skirts. Besides, her hijab clashed with her sexy (and shirtless) surfer dude(s) ;)

AKA-thanks for sharing those LOVELY pics. Its so awesome to see the beautiful sights of Australia through you:) BTW how sexy are the accents, you're soooo lucky that you get to hear them ALL around you :)

Blogger youngMuslimah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger youngMuslimah said...
pyari,

lol. I find aussie accents cool too, wait would be pronounced as 'white', Australia as austraILIA:D

Blogger AKA said...
Ruby - Well you could always make others jealous by coming here yourself you know ;)

Young Muslimah - I'll email you the city name just in case it's the same place your brother is planning on. Thanks for the tip on Photobucket!

'Liya - I hear Australia is a great honeymoon place...*ahem*

Ahmed - I'm back be back with my blogging peeps :D Australia is great so far and I'm looking forward to travelling around so will keep you posted!

Ari - Thanks, I'm glad to be back! And I'm so glad to have people to share the pics with. I'll have more up soon.

Durga - I don't know why that whole 'racism' thing exists back home and in the US. I think it's silly because racism of all sorts exists everywhere. Aus is definitely very very friendly with great people and a lot of diversity! I'll do what I can to squash that nasty rumour!

Roohi - Thank you so much my dear, I appreciate that :)

Anon - What ABCDlaw said.

ABCDlaw - girl, you rock. Thanks for having my back lol. I love the "surfer dude(s)" haha! The accents are awesome, and maybe it's a natural thing but I'm starting to pick it up a tiny bit when talking to a few Aussies at a time. But I have a lot of Canadian people here so we set each other straight again lol.

Young Muslimah - the inflections are hard to catch on to but I think at the end of my two years I'll be able to have it down.

Blogger youngMuslimah said...
aka, thanks, but my bro is really not sure what city..he's studying for the exam right now..I will let you know!

and lol, my bro says if you cant visit oz now, you should plan a honeymoon there, maybe i would;)

Blogger singlemuslimah said...
Wow! It sounds awesome. I'm so jealous! I'm glad you made it back safely. InshaAllah, you'll have a fabulous time there.

BTW, your pictures are great.

Blogger ZenDenizen said...
Your photo from the plane came out awesome. I'm glad to hear the people are so welcoming. Thanks for sharing this sweet slice of life story.

Blogger Humz said...
Looks beautiful!

Blogger echez said...
Dont forget to have fun...

Anonymous Anonymous said...
So I take that as a 'no. Great. Hijab is too extreme.