Wednesday, May 02, 2007
It's 9:02pm on Wednesday May 02 here in Australia...

At least, that's what I think I am...I hope I am...

It should be 7:02pm on Tuesday night back home...

My brain is mush and the sunlight pouring into the airport terminal where I am waiting for a (domestic) connecting flight has caused me to wear sunglasses indoors. And I don't wear sunglasses indoors.

I don't know if I'm supposed to be eating breakfast or dinner, all I know is that I'm having trouble understand how I managed eat to the so called "food" served in the plane.

21+ hours of flight time with about another 1+ hour to go...WHY HAVEN'T THEY INVENTED A SUPER FAST JET TO GO FROM TORONTO TO HERE YET!? HOW CAN PEOPLE POSSIBLY TAKE THIS MUCH AIRPLANE TIME!?!?!?!??!

This 'ish is bananas people...B-A-N-A-ANAY-S

To illustrate the inaneness that is the state of my mind the following happened while waiting in San Francisco to take our direct (15 hour) flight to here:

Me: "Wow...look at all those tiny lights down there. They look so small and pretty! But why don't we see any cars or houses..!?"
Brother (still in a respectable state of mind): "Umm...those are the lights on the jetway - we haven't even taken off yet..."
Me: "Oh..."

********************************************

Me: OH THANK GOD! There's only one more hour on this flight!! YAAAAAAAAA-
Passing by Flight Attendant who smiles too much and looks like a Ken doll in his mid 30s: No, actually there about 2.5 hours more to go...
Me: AAAAAAAAAAYYY - Wait what?! Oh Holy God no...


********************************************
Mom: Why don't you go to sleep for a bit?
Me: Kind hard with M's (my sister) foot in my rib and the bright movie screen glaring in my face.


********************************************

So far in the airport I've seen a Krispy Kreme, McDonald's, Hertz and Budget car rental, heard on the airport shuttle talk radio about Muslim terrorists, children being abducted by their father, health system problems, high homicide rates.

Feels like I never left home...


Hope you're all having a lovely day.

I'm not complaing - the weather is beautiful and I saw a real live palm tree...and I'm thrilled to finally be here in the country, though still not at my final destination, but I'm just insanely tired and need to decompress. I can't take my shoes off one more time and walk through airport security only be told to stand there until they scan me over. Nor can I be told again that my father's name has caused there to be a security alert on "the system" (happened only in Toronto). And with the number of bags, adults and an 8-year old to keep together, I had no time to take pictures of any airports or anything yet. But will soon...just can't remember where the heck I put the stupid camera....
13 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Sounds like it was a lot of fun. But more importantly, have you seen a kangaroo yet?? AND I hope my koala plan is in the works!

Blogger 'liya said...
See, you're fine! "a real live palm tree" that should make up for everything - hey, some of us haven't seen that in years!

And what is this "koala plan" .. sounds interesting :D

Blogger singlemuslimah said...
Oh, the joys of travel.

At least you're almost there. Just enjoy and try to take it all in.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
You should be there by now and I hope its fantastic with lots of palm trees! Yay!

What's this koala plan?

Blogger ZenDenizen said...
I'm so jealous! Hope to visit Australia at some point. Best of luck!

Blogger mezba said...
Hopefully at some point I can visit Australia. Have heard a lot about the country.

Blogger Dugi said...
Welcome to Aus!

Blogger Hafsa said...
finally there! missing home already?

congrats on getting there safe and sound! things will eventually fall into place and become normal for you! i don't know why i'm using so many exclamation marks but i'm just so excited for you!!!!! :D

Blogger Totally Frank said...
Hope you had a safe journey!!

Good luck with everything!

Blogger M&M said...
howz it been settling in? hope allz going well... :)

Blogger Recovering D said...
Hey I hope you're having loads of fun down under? Met any cute surfers yet hehe :)

Blogger AKA said...
Shazia - No koalas or kangaroos yet...apparently they keep them in zoos and parks? I mean what the hey?! They should be on every corner. Working in stores. Driving cars. Living in condos!!!

Liya - I am fine...deep down I knew I would be, but I felt I should be nervous you know? And Shaz's koala plan is for me to smuggle a koala back to Canada for her to keep as a pet. Crazy girl..

Single Muslimah - Tell me about it...that flight is just too long. You feel like you've aged 5 years once you get off the plane!

Ruby - LOTS of palm trees and date trees and cool birds I've never seen. Koala plan is to bring a koala back home for my friend Shazia. Except I don't know what's in it for me if I do..

Zendenizen - Thank you! I'll post pics soon.

Mezba - I'm hoping to travel around a bit to see the different sites. So far everything has been beautiful!

Durga - Thank you! What a lucky girl you are to call this place your home!

Hafsa - Yes, missing home already...I should be more stronger, but I'm a wuss. I miss everything about home but people here are great so I'm getting along well.

CS&B - Thank you!!!!!! I'm excited for me too and so far everything has been great :) Keep you posted..

Totally Frank - Thank you!

M&M - It's been wonderful so far. My family came with me so we had a good vacation and lots of family fun (along with the fights and annoyance...but it's all out of love, right?). Things in school are going well - room is set up, met lots of people, and the food hasn't killed me - yet.

Pyari - Lots of fun and looking forward to school starting up (next week!). Met some cute surfers, all young'ns though. Boo.