Monday, April 23, 2007

Webcams, adapters, and flash drives, oh my!

Just when you realize you don't have a penny to throw into a fountain to make a wish you find yourself needing to spend money everywhere!

I'm not a technology-challenged person. I'm usually the one setting up and fixing the gadgets at home and work. But when you're actually trying to find a product to purchase, it's near impossible to narrow down the selection!

I'd been advised to get a whole mess of things before starting school. My big purchases last year were my iPod and my laptop, debts that I still have yet to get over. I have no idea what kind of webcam is good, if I should even buy one or wait, is a laptop sized one good enough, or if I can get a pack of 2 for myself and my family...? These are the questions that burn within...sadly...




While going through all these thing in preparation for my trip, I've been fortunate to realize the true people who care about me. On the one hand I have people who suddenly called me up out of the blue after a year or so to ask about my trip and then slowly drop that they wanted to know if I could take a care package down with me for their cousin's fiance who's also going to the same school. Or the family friends who have also failed to mention or call me but then feel it's necessary to call our family over, then guilt me into staying because they won't see me for such a long time (it'd been 8 months since I'd seen them anyways) and then proceed to talk to my dad only about some mortgage and real estate needs they have.

Then, on the other had, I have people who have dropped their own plans to make sure they get to see me in anyway possible before I leave just to say "goodbye" in person. One such person I met in Michigan and was probably the only person I really got be close with. She came home after exams Sunday night (she hadn't been home in about 3 months herself), met up with me last night, and flew out for to London for a vacation this morning at 6am. Then I have another who is sick with some crazy mutant form of a virus and is still calling me to see if she can come visit from the city. And then there are the lovely ladies (one's a gem the other a very tasty Indian snack...)I met through this blog who are breaking my heart because I only got to meet them now right before I left and won't get to spend any more time with them.

With our busy lifestyles it's hard to find the time to talk to everyone we want. Things like MSN and Facebook help to keep up the lost connection but nothing will tell you more about a person than how they step up to the plate when you most need them. I am quite literally beside myself in awe with the number of people who have showed real concern and support over my leaving. I never thought I was this fortunate, but I've been proven wrong.

There's exactly 1 week left (and I mean exact...my flight leave at this time next Monday!) and thank God that all my issues are slowly working out for me.

Just don't ask about my packing progress...




If you are feeling sad or depressed around this time, all you have to do is go see a Raptors game with a hardcore fanatic. Had you been around the ACC like I was this past Saturday, their long, beaten, and tear-stained faces would have pretty much got you to see that you couldn't possibly be feeling as bad as these fans after the loss to the Nets (CURSE YOU VINCE CARTER!!!!!)

OR, if when they win Tuesday night, you will get so caught up in the elated joy in the aftermath that you will pretty much forget what your own problem was to begin with.


Either way, there is no way we are losing to the Nets. No. Way. It's like a city-wide pride thing. And we CANNOT let a person like Vince Carter take it away. No pressure boys

.
11 Comments:
Blogger M&M said...
awww, thats awesome that you have friensa that care so much about you. its the little things that make the hugest difference eh. even with distances good frienships stay strong, you might drift away every once in a while but the "connection" would stay.

wow one week before you move away, are you like really nervous yet? excited and the sinking feeling at the same time?

Blogger Ahmed said...
Darn right, they may have taken game 1 but we're going to win the series! And I'm going to game 3 to help cheer them on and get back home court! Lets Go Raptors, Lets Go!!!! :)

Blogger mezba said...
Raptors.. *sigh*... why couldn't we just meet with Washington ... *sigh* *sigh*

Blogger AKA said...
M&M - You summarized it all much better than I did. There are some friends you have who you may not see for ages but when you do talk it's like no time has passed!

I am getting nervous...but a good kind of nervous I'd describe it as! Excitement and a little anxiety, doubt but eagerness all mixed together :)

Ahmed - Cheer extra loud for me will you?? And boo the heck out of VC and Nav Bhatia ("Superfan"!?! Please...rubbing shoulders with the enemy more like it..!!!)

Mezba - it just seems right to face the Nets with this playoffs. Wizards wouldve been good. But I feel we can pull it together and kick the Nets out. Hey, the Red Sox did beat the Yankees right? Anything is possible.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Honey bunny,

I was wondering if you could take a suitcase full of samosa love with you to Aussie, so that when you miss us, all you have to do is take a bite....

We are so fortunate to have met you. And don't worry, keep up with the blogs readings and you'll be with us always.

Kiss, kiss, kiss,
Samosa

Anonymous Anonymous said...
"if they win Tuesday night"??? No faith...

Raps in 6, you wait and see...

Blogger Sarah said...
Hey Deej! Why is the time going by sooo fast?! Like it feels like I jus saw you yesterday but it's been 3 days.. nooooo!!

But seriously, Deej you're the type of friend that makes me think, with friends like you who needs family. Alhumdalillah I am really lucky to have you. And you'd better a phone asap when u get to australia. Got it!!

And okay fine, I'll stop asking you how packing is going :P

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Aussie is going to be awesome and inshallah you will love it there! As for everyone here, we will be here when you get back and keep in touch while you're gone too! I'm super glad I got a chance to know you!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I'm sorry I never got to meet you like samosa or ruby, but Im also grateful that you have a ....ta-duh.... a BLOG! we'll still get to know all about you, and live vicariously thru you... in a way, more than most of these friends who have known you for longer but who are poor at keeping in touch. So keep blogging, you will of course love Ozland, and inshallah all these webcam/adaptor probs will be a thing of the past!

Blogger 'liya said...
Only one week away... I'm so excited for you!!!

Blogger AKA said...
Samosa - I've set aside one big suitcase just for that. And I think I'm the fortunate one here to have such great people to read about and have read my inane posts!

Smurf - buddyyyyy look closer, I did the strikeout think on the "if" and put "when"! I have total faith that they'll win it in 6.
And they won TODAY!!!

Sarah - I was shocked when you said 3 days...but it has!! And you're quite literally making me blush here...I'm lucky to have YOU! But still can't believe I'll miss all the big events this summer :(

Ruby - You're the bestest for saying that over and over, and I'm the bum who's too skeptical to accept it. InshAllah it'll be great and I know with great people like you, I'll always have friends when I'm home :)

Isheeta - Thanks so much :) I really wish we got to meet too but we can save that for my coming home party ;) And I promise to keep my blog up-to-date with pictures and details about life there. I'd take you over those lost friends any day.

'liya - it's down to 5 days now...!!!! Keep me in your duas!