Sunday, April 29, 2007
It's a bad time to be alive in the world...
  • Families eat infront of the TV or alone
  • Wars are being faught in different parts of the world under false pretenses or judgements
  • Media has never had more power or been more biased
  • The gap between the rich and the poor is growing at an exponential rate
  • Some countries have a disturbing excess of food to the point where they get diseases and die from eating too much; other countries have drought and no sources of food to the point where they are dying of starvation and dehydration
  • Natural, non-renewable resources are depleting at an alarming rate, yet very few understand the danger or care to do anything about it
  • Third World Debt will never be forgiven
  • The World Bank and the IMF rule the world, in one way or another
  • Young people are in more of a rush to be older; old people are cutting themselves up to be younger
  • Lindsay Lohan's antics make the cover of a newspaper more often than apartheid in Africa


It's a good time to be alive in the world...
  • There are advances in medicine that are able to treat and cure many old diseases
  • Global communication is as easy as visiting a neighbour
  • there are better solutions being found to create a sustainable environment on earth
  • More and more women are being respected as equal counterparts and given opportunities to lead
  • There is more tolerance and increased accessibility of and for minority groups, including those with special needs
  • Education is slowly become more accessible for the poor with school opening up in small villages with the help of NGOs
  • Systems like the Grameen bank and other grassroot projects are at an increase
  • Though mainstream media has become a source for propaganda, thanks to satellites and Internet, people can seek different sources of media publications throughout the world
  • Economies of Second World countries are strengthening

On either hand...
  • Jobs are being exported from the West to the East - countries in the West, such as Canada and the US still need their middle class jobs to sustain their economy, but the jobs are being sent to countries with larger populations and where people are in more dire need for money
  • Getting a divorce can now cost as little as $300 - it's accessible to the poor who may need to get out of an abusive relationship, but makes divorce an easy way out of marriage for anyone
  • Banks offer more security and an insurance for your money from being eroded by inflation, but at ridiculous fees and rates.
  • People are seeking to have more post-secondary education to get better jobs, but leave school with the highest amount of student debt seen in a decade




I didn't write this all to especially show a depressing or optimistic side to life in particular, but it was just something running through my head, and since I don't usually take a more serious tone on my blog, I thought this would be a change...a little less "self-involved", you could say (right Anonymous?). Feel free to add your own.
12 Comments:
Blogger Roohi said...
Deeja...

Tussi Jari Ho? :( Tussi Na Ja!

So what if I was watching Kuch Kuch Hota Hai just now...whatever!

Ok fine, you can go as long as you keep your promises to me! :p

I asked Anika to give you a big hug from me when she saw you last weekend...I don't know if she did.

*HUG!*

Blogger AKA said...
You are one quick blog-update-reader Roohi! I came to edit something and here you are! I shall keep my promises to you, don't you worry! I saw Anika yesterday, and I got a hug - just don't know if yours was mixed in with it, but I assume it was. Thank you! *HUG* BACK!!!

Blogger ZenDenizen said...
Very thought provoking, makes me feel guilty since I haven't mastered the art of the non self-absorbed blog post yet.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Have a safe trip to Ozland, sweetie. We'll all miss you :)

Blogger Marishka said...
Random inquiry: how was the John Mayer concert on the 17th? Any less painful than my experience in February?

Blogger AKA said...
Zendenizen - There was an anonymous comment a few posts ago that said I was too self-absorbed so I thought that since I was thinking about this, I might as well post it

Isheeta - Thanks hon, I'll be back on here soon with stories!

Mary - I might be a bit biased because, believe it or not, this was my first concert. He played a lot of the more popular songs from past albums and pretty much all my fav's from Continuum. It was a bigger place than he's played at here in Toronto before, but packed house so a lot of screaming teeny-somethings. But it was a better set list than you had written about. I'd hoped for more stuff from the Trio, but it was a long shot. Here's the set list: http://www.johnmayer.com/tour/show/360
Hope the preparations for Peru are going well.

Blogger Recovering D said...
Have a safe trip! And be sure to tell us about how wonderful Australia is, and keep us in the know about hot aussie MEN! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Blogger youngMuslimah said...
AKA,

dropping by to wish you good luck! May Allah make things easy for you.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
You've never been self-absorbed!

This is a good post though...reminder of where the world stands today and that we need to go do something about it.

Blogger ZenDenizen said...
Whoa what went wrong at the John Mayer concert? I'm going in July...

Blogger 'liya said...
That was great! I'm going to print it out and stick it up on the overhead projector for my students to think about.

Blogger singlemuslimah said...
This was a very thought provoking post but you are NOT self-absorbed.

Good luck down under!