Monday, April 16, 2007
Calling all super-organized and time-conscious people:

Need help with packing for a two-year trip within two week time period. Inquire within.




So I met a girl who will be starting school with me in a couple weeks. I met her through my classmate from undergrad who is already there. And upfront, I will say that she is a really nice person, pretty outgoing and very, very detailed. Very.

Our first meeting was at Tim Horton's. I thought it would be just a casual chat about ourseleves, how our application process has been, and what special things we'll be taking with us. It was surely all that, but then some more.

For starters she brought a laptop - ok, fine, cool - she thought it'd be a good idea to take notes or look up things she has saved etc. Smart.

Then came the spreadsheets on Excel - how much money she spent on tuition, postage, the annual interest rate on her mother's credit card that her tuition and other expenses were charged on calculated daily, the amount of interest her savings account and term deposits in the bank were earning...you get the idea.

After that she asked what I was bringing. Alright, also fine, a seemingly general question, right? I ticked off a list of items : regular everyday clothes, business suit (for mock trial), desk lamp, couple electrical outlet adapters, toilettries. That was all that I had remembered (which was not yet packed).

Then I asked her.

She owns 5 cardigans, but will bring only 4: white, black, beige ("well, not beige, but more like a wheat colour, a light wheat colour"), and green ("a forest green, like pine"); 7 pairs of jeans (Guess, Seven, and Gap were the brands mentioned, I believe); 3 skirts (that come just to the knee - floral and solid colours).

And so the list went. When the question came to how many bras and things I'm bringing, I about tuned out.

Again - she's reeeaaallly nice. A genuine person who I guess you could say is refreshingly open and honest. Not seen in people. She just threw me for a bit because I didn't expect that level of...meticulous-ness? I have no idea how many cardigans or anything I own (so am apt to buy things in repeat designs, at times, but this is besides the point).

But, unbeknownst to me, I gave her the impression that I was a shy and wallflower type of person. I can be shy, but just depends on the situation. I do have an issue with being too self-conscious, but we all have a bit of that, don't we? So with all this in mind, she started to give me advice on how I should use this time to branch out and try to meet new people and that it was ok to dress up and put on jewelry now and then. That I should be more confident. That wearing tank tops and skirts would be ok because I should try to be more "open to new things".

I was a bit flabbergasted at all this. As the eldest in the family (siblings and maternal-side cousins included) I'm used to giving advice and pep talks to others. I've never been on the receiving end like this especially from a perpetual stranger...! I had no clue what to say so I made attempts to clarify that I was not a wallflower and had I been such, I wouldn't be making this huge trip across the world! I've lived on my own for a bit, and lived in different counties. I'm not afraid of speaking up when I need to. And, above all, I am not afraid to be open to new things but I will not compromise my beliefs and current way of living to do it.

I know she didn't mean any of this in a insulting way at all. She was trying to be nice and encouraging with her tone, but in my mind I was laughing because this person had no idea what I was like (since she'd only known me for an hour). People who read my blog know me better than she did at this point..!

Is it just me, or would anyone else be uncomfortable with this? Just a tad? Call me crazy (actually that name was reserved for the last post), but I'd like to have at least meet you more than once (or at least be reading your blog for awhile...ha!) before I even think about discussing undergarments, past relationships and how much money I have in the bank.
13 Comments:
Blogger Roohi said...
I have no idea how I would handle that situation. I mean, I don't like discussing such topics with people I know so I have no idea what I would say if a stranger asked me that!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
She sounds...special. I feel you might already be branching out and trying new things considering you are moving to Australia. That's new. And branchy.

I don't discuss undies and my bank balance (in numbers) with my best friend! Even though we shop together for undies and analyse how/where we waste our money and how/where we can save.

Blogger 'liya said...
Aww the conversation sounds cute! I agree with Ruby, she sounds special lol. Kinda like she sees herself as your big sister.. I say let her do this, if caring for your well-being (or um organized suitcase) is what makes her happy, then let her take care of it because in the end it would save you the trouble wouldn't it? :D

Blogger Sarah said...
I see you will be branching out and making new friends.. hahaha.

J/k.. some people jus like to open up to strangers more than others.

Blogger Ahmed said...
I'd definitely feel uncomfortable with those topics. No matter who I was talking to! It would certainly be weird if someone brought up those things the first time I met them.

Well maybe not the finance stuff since school and moving definitely cost. Even then it would be about potential costs/budget no personal info.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Abort Abort!

Sounds like a nutjob! yeah, her meticulousness may be a boon in the field of corporate or taxation law... BUT with any relationship, its going tobe downhill. you are definitley NOT crazy, she shouldnt be asking all this questions and making assumptions and thinks she is advice-worthy. I'd be a tad pissed off myself. she sounds like a control freak.

Make sure when u see at her campus, to run the other way!

Maybe you had mentioned this before, but why do you have to pack now? Oz school semesters start now??

Anonymous Anonymous said...
hmm..i am surprised she didnt do risk analysis on you:)

Blogger Recovering D said...
Can we say anal retentive? But I'm sure her billable hours will be meticulous! She does seem to have a touch of OCD, and people who do don't think anything about other peoples boundaries, so maybe thats why she's ok with discussing these things. About her 'advice' well it seems well intentioned, but that doesn't mean you have to listen. MY advice on this is, DO NOT ROOM WITH HER. GOD no. Can you imagine how uber organized she will be, and how there'll be a system for EVERYTHING. About packing, well its not like you're going to a deserted island, so if you need something you can always buy it there-thats what my dad keeps telling me when I start to stress about what I have to take to school!

Blogger AKA said...
I posted replies but it didnt show up! Silly Blogger...here is attempt #2

Roohi - you're so sweet that I think you would've found a polite way to just reply...and then run away

Ruby - special is a good word. And I do feel branchy! Even if I had the time to count my clothing, I don't understand who would be interested in knowing about it..! Though I was forced to count cardigans while packing - I have 6, need to know the colours?

Liya - well, I will admit that she got me to think of a couple things that I hadn't thought about. But she just seemed more prepared with everything so I felt inadequate or just plain unprepared!

Sarah - what people have you met that are like this..!?

Ahmed - I know know the exact dollar figure in her savings accounts and what interest she's earning....TMI? (Too much information...FYI lol)

Isheeta - I am slowly trying to shake loose of her, but as of now she's the only person I know there! I'm afraid that if I run away, she'll have already made out a plan of the possible places I could be hiding.

And yes, Oz does have different semsters than ours since their summer/winter is opposite to ours. Regular school starts mid-May and summer holidays are Dec-Feb or so. Universities have either 2 or 3 semesters - mine has 3 so I'll be starting in their "Fall" term. I leave April 30th..!

Anonymous - I think that's a whole other spreadsheet...

Pyari - I wouldn't dream of rooming with her! I'm going to be living on campus but in a single private room and she's going to be in a completely seperate building..phew! You're right about buying things there, but it's just that I've been told that certain things are more expensive so I'm trying to figure out what I can save money on.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Actually yes, I do want to know the colors and I also want details like sleeve length, button type etc.

It was awesome meeting you yesterday chickie! I don't think you should go to Australia! I think you should stay here!

Blogger M&M said...
lol what an interesting... meeting

too much personal info:S. I would not discuss half this stuff with my friends either lol.

But nonetheless, you do not have to become best buds, lol but now you know someone and can gain any knowledge from her research and swap ideas and stuff.

Blogger AKA said...
Ruby - I will make up a spreadsheet, powerpoint presentation and also a hardcover copy and send it over asap!

Aww man, I loved meeting you too! And I'd have liked to come back home, but if you want to petition, send it to the Canadian schools who wouldn't let me transfer from the US!!!

M&M - This is true...I did pick up a couple things and I know I won't be attached to the hip to her, I just thought the situation was funny :P

Blogger singlemuslimah said...
Don't feel bad. She was just a pushy cow. You don't even know her so there's no need for her to be all in your business. Do NOT room with her. She will drive you insane.