Wednesday, April 18, 2007
***Warning: The following is a whiny, anger-filled, dripping-with-sarcasm rant about the tragic unfairness of life...and travel websites. Proceed with caution***


It was soooo super nice of OSAP to up and cancel my loan application last week without informing me. Apparently the brainiacs that run the place thought it was possible, and logical, for me to attend two law schools in two different continents at the same time.

SURE! Why not? Sounds like a fun commute, doesn't it? And hey, I've always wanted to pay double tuition! Who wouldn't!?

Despite sending in all sorts of confirmations of enrolling in my new school, they thought I was still enrolled in school in Michigan and cancelled my application without any notice. My last loan ran from Sept. 06 through April 07. New one was to start in May. So though the term of the loan didn't overlap and the Aussie school sent confirmation that I was a real person about to attend their school, OSAP though it would be a fun game to just hit the "Cancel" button on me and wait for me to find out on my own. After calling them they said I need a letter to be sent from my old school. Sure, they only move as fast as a turtle with a broken hip in quicksand.

Awesome.




The other loan funding source I have, based in the US also has put my loan application on hold. Must be some sort of conspiracy. But no, they say my father has had less than a year of credit history. Well, yeaaaaahhh since he's been a citizen in the country for just 30+ years, he only bothered to go out and get a credit card last week. Silly dad. I'm sure, since the same loan people took about 5 months to fund my last loan, this will all get sorted out quickly.

Double awesome!




Rocky, who is a customer service agent for Travelocity.com kindly informed me that instead of paying $100 to change my return ticket date, I will actually have to pay $1200US. WOW. Just, plain...wow. I mean, all this time I was wondering what I would do with all this extra cash lying around! I mean especially with all these loan companies practically throwing their money at me from every angle!

Rocky says that since it's an international flight I must pay $230 administration fee (Ohhhh is that what they call pushing the key on the computer now? Damn it...I'm so stupid!) and then the difference in the ticket from the time I originally purchased mine to what the ticket is at now. That is sooooooooooo cool that I have frostbite!

But wait - is this the SAME Travelocity.com that is so smart that they POST their prices in Canadian dollars ("CAD") but CHARGED me in US dollars! Whoa...I'm getting a headache with all this smooth and unflawed company!

Wait, wait WAIT! This is the SAME Travelocity.com that posts LOWER prices than their Travelocity.CA website for the EXACT SAME FLIGHT, even after converting the price!? NO WAY DUDE!!!!

Hold the phone! Oh no, I mean that's what I did a lot of...

[After holding 40 minutes]

Call #1 - Anita in Mumbai
Anita told me that I would pay exactly the price AND currency on the website. Really Anita? Honestly honey, I believe you, but would you be a dear and check with your supervisor - because hey, I don't want to book and pay only to find out different right? Oh you'll put me on hold? Half an hour you say? No problemo. Anything for you babe. What's that you say? Your supervisor confirmed this? Ohhh and since I haven't yet booked the flight you cannot put a comment on my file even though I registered on your website and you can see my account? What call centre are you at? Mumbai? No way! That's cool. Ok, no worries, I understand I'll go ahead and book.

[That evening...after holding 45 minutes]

Call #2 - Nick in New Delhi
Heyyyyy Nickyyyyyyyyyyyyy...'sup homeboy! Well see here dude, I called and spoke to Anita - you don't know her? You're in New Delhi? Hey it's ok, she's all the way in Bollywood-land! So here's the dilly...I FINALLY found an awesome price for tickets, since I'm buying 5 I need a good deal and you guys are the only ones offering a low price. I called my girl 'Nita who said I'll pay $7--- Canadian because that's what your site quoted. She totally confirmed it for me too. But now as I'm going to put my credit card info in, you're website STILL says $7---CAD but above it says prices in U.S. dollars. What gives? What? Put me on hold? Wait for a manager? Well...ok, but you know last time I got cut -

[15 minutes later] This recording is annoying. Where's Nick? Maybe he's still helping me...I'll just wait...

[40 minutes later] It's almost like he forgot about me...ha! He wouldn't do that...right? I mean--


@$&U%)&(#*%&*)#%&)*I JUST GOT CUT OFF!?!?!?!??!?!*%*@(&%&#)!!(*$_#+$%


My mom: "Beta, just call another travel agency, or website, it'll be fine. Don't waste your time"
Me: "NO! They SAID I will pay Canadian dollars. AND making me pay otherwise is FALSE REPRESENTATION. A lie. They CANNOT do business like that. They're the cheapest ones out there for this flight - I've checked EVERY OTHER WEBSITE and travel agency - and I will pay the price on the site but in CANADIAN dollars as PROMISED!!!!!I'm calling back...

[50 minutes later]

Call #3 - Rick and Nick in Mumbai
Rick: "Welcome to Travelocity, this is Rick, how may I help you?"
Me: "Rick?" (I bet it's short for Rakesh...)
Rick: "Yes"
Me: "Ok, listen. Before I start yelling at you and messing up your day. Get me a manager. NOW. No, you will not put me on hold, I've been put on hold twice and got cut off twice. You will need to sit there and get a manager to come to YOU. And I am not holding for more than 1 minute, do you understand me?"
Rick: "...uh, yes ma'am. Please wait ma'am. I'm not going anywhere ma'am. I just have to pause the line ma'am, to get a manager ma'am, ok?"
Me: "Yeah you do that"

[1 minute later]


Nick: "Hello this is Nick here"
Me: "NICK?! Are you in the New Delhi call centre..?!"
Nick: "No ma'am, Mumbai"
Me: "So I'll have to explain this all over again...great..."

[10 minutes later]

Nick: "Let me put you on hold and check this out. I will need to call my support line. I checked the website and you are right. I'll take down your number, just in case we get disconnected, but hold please."
Me: "....yeah ok..."

[30 minutes of holding] Nick says he will call me back....

[another 45 minutes later]

Nick: "It's a glitch in our system ma'am. I'm very sorry about that but the pricing is in Canadian dollars for some reason, even when I access the site here. But it is US dollars you would pay."
Me: "So there's nothing you can do? After all this horrible service? You're company won't help me? You're company offers a higher price to Canadian residents for the exact same flight [same flight number, time, airline etc] than US? So why would I bother with the Canadian site?"
Nick: I'll email you a $100 credit for the next time you book a flight with us to be used for a hotel or car rental. That's all I can do.
Me: "Ok, seems I have no choice. Please send it. I appreciate everything you've done for me. I'm sorry for being so frustrated"
Nick: "It's ok, I understand. I will send it, and you should get it with 48 hours"

Needless to say, I did NOT get the promised credit. A call back to the Mumbai call centre lead me to discover there are several "Nicks" and many different shifts. No way to trace him. SUPER!

Fast forward to now and my coversation with Rocky from don't-know-don't-care and the $1200 charge.

I'm really over-flowing with all this joy. It brings me to tears...literally...




Did I mention that my mom packed much of my stuff while half-asking me and now I only have three-quarters of suitcase space left while having a suitcase full worth of things to put in? Since the airline only allows a suitcase size of 60-inches and 50lb weight, I either shell out for a new case, or pay overage.




The Very Detailed Girl (VDG) also has had time to email a list of items she will be bringing...and has asked that I do the same so we can compare notes. Woo......hooooooooooooooo!




Yes, I realize I have my health, my family, friends, chocolate and a warm forecast for the weekend, but what's your point?
8 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
WOW.

Man, I am speechless. I have no words, I think that must be the most uber-shit day you've ever had. I've had an uber shit day too, I just got my internet connection after a whopping 10 hours offline. Anyways, that is not the point, the point is about you..

you're hawt when you're mad, I think I love you :D

Here's hoping all will be fixed soon before the impending leave date.

Blogger Recovering D said...
Aww big HUG AKA. Travelocity sounds horrid. I think thats how they do it, by charging ridiculous prices for flight changes. And you are so right, those stupid call centers. I'm desi and i HATE them. Sure I know they give people in India jobs, but they are so ineffective. No communication between them and i swear those people know NOTHING about how to talk to westerners. They're either pushy and hostile or absolutely silent.

So what's the status on school? Will everything work out with your loan situation? Hope you have a better day tomorrow!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Wow wow wow. And I thought my 30 minutes Dell phone hold to get $28 refunded for wrongfully charging me extra was bad.

I hope it gets resolved.

I am also slightly miffed boys were not included in the bloggers meetup you had recently. Grrr....

But seriously, hope that $1200 dollar thing got fixed.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Nightmare. That's all sorts of awful Chai! Hope it all works out and SOON and not for $1200! My fingers are crossed for you chickie!

Blogger Ahmed said...
Oh wow, that sounds like such a painful day. The loan stuff...argh, school administration and then osap administration.....argh, thats really rough.

The flight stuff....I couldn't handle it...not with that much waiting. I'd be forget it, I'm trying someone else. Best of luck to you though! InshaAllah it works quickly and you don't get another day like that period.

Blogger 'liya said...
Oh noo.. I hope everything turns out okay.. that must have been totally frustrating :(

I think this is a good time to get Very Detailed Girl to put her talents to use and help?

Blogger AKA said...
Isheeta - I just read about your internet troubles...I am now in anger mode so will again offer to yell/threaten Rogers if you need me to. Then you can rightfully love me ;)

Pyari - Thanks so very much hon. It's a frustrating experience because I just don't think they understood what I was explaining about the prices. But hey things like that happen with businesses here just the same! InshAllah things will work out well...make a little prayer for me?

Haleem - Don't get me started on Dell. I used my laptop to watch a movie on a TV and the screen never adjusted back to what it was supposed to - after a bazillion diagnostics tests they had me reformat the whole thing.

Next time we'll let the boys in on the fun. But it was nice to have just girls ;)

Ruby - Thanks Ruby!! You really are a gem...is that too corny to say? I'm saying it anyway.

Ahmed - Thanks for the wishes! It all seems to go along with the "when it rains, it pours" saying. I was stuck with them because my tickets were non-refundable and when I called the airline, they told me to call my travel agent (who then again referred me back to the airline...!!!!). Eventually I figured I needed a real person so went to the airport.

'liya - lol you know I really did think of that, but she's been busy as of late and I've got 10 days left so I think it's just me, my immense pile of clothing, and 3 suitcases!

Blogger singlemuslimah said...
WOW. There are just no words.
I hope it all works out for you.