Monday, September 04, 2006
I have a bit of a problem with optimism. I used to think I was very optimistic. Any time someone would ask me about that proverbial glass, I'd say it was half full, since when you have an empty glass, you fill it up - it never comes with the liquid right? Maybe I read too much into it...

But life and aging has soured me (I sound like a 40 year old). While seeing ups and downs is a part of going through each day, I find I'm more optimistic for other people and less for myself. It may just be my nature to think more for others than for myself, or it just may be that I really am not optimistic. But then, I'm not pessimistic...all the time. I'm stuck in limbo between the two and while I don't think people fall neatly into categories of one or the other, I'd like to be able to define myself: "Hi, nice to meet you. I'm an optimistic, ambitious, generous, funny (??), halal-eating, non-drinking, Muslim, anti-war, gossip-column-reading, movie-loving, Scorpio, Canadian-living-in-the-U.S., intuitive, afraid-of-all-creepy-crawlies, law student...and yourself?"

Does that sum me up? I figured that by my mid-20s I'd be out of the quarter life crisis stage and would have a somewhat defnite handle on life. I don't expect to know it all (though I act like one - ha! See? A joke! I'm funny..right?) but I still expect to have some trail to follow. Most would say law school is a well-defined path. Sure, I'm planning on finishing school (though my pessimistic side will say that either I meet with some unfortunate accident before that, or I can't take the pressure and get kicked out) but then what?

For someone who likes the element of surprise and spontaneity I seem to want too many things pre-determined. It gives me comfort to know which direction I'm headed in. Though I do believe our fate is set out for us, I kinda wish I got a little preview.

A movie trailer for my life! Now that would be interesting - all the funny bits would be played out, while hinting at many of the twists and turns. We'd be able to see the casted main characters, and catch glimpses of all the exciting scenes. We'd even get to hear those great 'only in the movies' type one-liners. Then you could decide if that's a movie, or a road, you'd go to.

(I really do like most movie trailers better than the movie...short and sweet! You can watch tons at www.apple.com/trailers)
3 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
out of your quarter life crisis by u'r mid-20s?!?!...yeah right!!!... i think u stay in that quarter life crisis forever... or what seems to be forever, only to probably merge into your mid-life crisis... < sigh >... the crises never end :P...

what does the title mean btw?

and nice pic of the sun(set/rise)... seems like it was taken from a plane...

Blogger AKA said...
Talk about being a pessimist! Sheesh...I thought I was bad. You've just dashed all hopes of all the quarter-life-crisis sufferers everywhere...way to go :p

The title is what I'm repeating to myself since I got here -> 4.0GPA. I don't think I can do it...hence the topic of optimism

Blogger Sarah said...
Haha... you guys are in the midst of your quarterlife crises?? By the way, Psychologists say that most people don't go thru midlife crises. So there is solace in knowing that, right?

In the words of 786: "no matter what you're going thru somebody's got it tougher."

Jus some food for thought :)