Wednesday, August 30, 2006
Good God it's finally happened. I am sitting here in my cozy 1-bedroom Michigan apartment after a long day (1 of 2) of orientation, somehow linked to the internet (I think I'm mooching borrowing sharing with some new neighbours because I couldn't get any connection when I was here last week.

The phone number has been set up (after the people at Cingular sent me a number with the wrong area code and I had to get the whole thing reset...apparently "Lansing, Michigan" sounds exactly the same as "Des Moines, Iowa"). The cable/internet is a different, irritating story.

I called Comcast Monday night, requesting a set-up on any time between Wednesday-Friday. They initially said Saturday and impatient as I am prone to be, I asked them to see if they could fit me in earlier, citing that I reeeealllyyyyy needed it for school. Again confusion struck and they sent someone to my place on Tuesday (must be the connection) while I got here Tuesday at about 10pm. So yet again I called Tuesday night, and they promised someone would be there Wednesday, since there'd be a technician in the area, but they didnt know when. I left my brother and dad at home and came home tonight at 6pm to realize - no technician. Since then and now I made 3 calls. First two I was told the tech guy was on his way. At 9:30, I figured, he wasn't. My American living experience was so far turning sour. During the third call an over-enthused man told me he was very sorry, tried to make small talk about Canada ("yes, it does snow a lot there. No, not all the time.") and again solemnly vowed I'd get a call tomorrow (Thursday) telling me when they'd be there. I'd hold my breath, but then I wouldn't make it to the end of my law degree.

My dad and brother are leaving tomorrow, so I will offically be on my own. Once I get my place cleaned up I'll post pictures of it so you can see my new digs (do people use that word anymore?). Til then tomorrow is Day 2 of orientation. I've already met someone nice people, but no kindred spirits yet.

More to post tomorrow...since I'll be all alone with nothing to do until class on Tuesday.