Monday, August 14, 2006
The Rise

- the number of people opting for plastic surgery to 'fix' things they don't like about their body. I could say I disapprove of any form of alteration to our natural state, but then I'd be a hypocrite. Girls wax, tweeze, pluck, add layers of make-up to themselves everyday. This is definitely not the natural form. These days many guys are also following suit and doing the same (though less obviously in some cases). Though plastic surgery is a permanent change, I know many girls who won't leave the house without a full routine of make-up, whether it's going to the grocery store or a party. "Permanent makeup" is now also very popular. It's pretty much a tatoo of colour on your face, and many people are deciding to take this route, rather than apply the make-up daily. I'm not judging them; if they are more comfortable that way, then that's great. But it does bring to mind the question, what's the difference whether you make the change surgical or temporary? Personally I would never go under the knife (a conceited, or at least confident, person would say there's was nothing that needed changing!) for a number of reasons, but at the same time, I can't judge and condemn those who do.

- my school schedule is looking up. I don't have any classes starting before 1pm and I have Friday's off. I know most of the professor's I'll have and I've checked them out on RateMyProfessor.com and a couple of them are great, a couple not so great. Only drawback is a class I have on Thursdays from 7-9pm. My parents don't like the idea of me being at school that late, I don't like the idea that I'll miss Scrubs and may be late watching ER. Oh, and the whole thing about being able to drive home on Thursday nights to spend the weekends here. That's sorta important too (as long as I get home before 10pm EST, I'm ok..ER!)

- I'm blogging more frequently. Why is that? More to say? Or maybe more desperate to get it out into the open. Seeking attention? That's probably not such a plus point. Though then again, depending on who reads your blog, you really don't know who you're getting attention from, so that can't be it. Maybe it's nerves. Nervousness arising from all that is coming up in two weeks from now. Yeah, that must be it.

The Fall

- It's gettin' cold outside. The season is taking it turn and instead of humid, warm breeze, a sharper, stronger breeze is taking it's place. I've always loved that Tim Horton's commercial where a girl is walking in a neighbourhood and a browining leaf falls to the ground at her feet. She takes one glance and turns on heels and runs down the sidewalk screaming. It sort of made me feel like that when I saw the weather forecast.

- I saw Halloween candy at Zellers. HALLOWEEN! Orange and black boxes with pumpkins and witches drawn on the side, filled to the bring with toothsome concoctions of chocolate and chips. It's two and a half months away! Who buys Halloween candy now!?


- Birthday is coming up (in about 2 1/2 months, but it'll be here soon). This means turning a year older. Which means a different sort of pressure arises from the parents regarding the 'M' word. The world starts to make a little more sense as you close the book on the "quarter life crisis" and understand yourself better. The worst thing about this upcoming birthday is that I will be so far away from all my friends and family. For the first time no one at home will rush into my room when the clock strikes midnight to wish me a "happy birthday". Friends won't come over to pass on more wishes and love. Yeah, most people say I will make new friends once I get there, but it's not like anyone will know my birthday, and this really isn't the age to go telling everyone when it is just for the attention. Ah well, what can I do? My birthday falls on a Monday this year so I will be tucked away in my Michigan apartment studying away.





Remember when birthdays were about sharing cupcakes with your kindergarten class? You'd get to be the special helper for the day, and you ruled the sandbox. Anyone who did not give you the best toys had to be reminded by yourself and others that since it was your birthday, the rules of sharing existed only for them. Presents included: Skip-it, Lite Brite, My Little Pony, Barbie, Tonka Trucks, Atari, Nintendo, Cabbage Patch Kid, View Master, Care Bear, Clue, Operation, Popples, My Little Buddy (or My Sister) and of course, Legos.

As you grew older, gone were the cupcake days, as well as the days of cakes shaped as Barbie (I never had one of those, but I really wanted one when I was about 8). You entered junior high and it became about having either a small party at your house, or going out for a supervised movie. Presents included any sort of cool jewellry or clothes (for girls) that you could get out of the $20 your parents gave you to spend. I have no ideas what guys got at this age...?

High school, the parties moved to restaurants and elsewhere with the biggest group of friends you could manage to draw out for that special night. It also became a silent contest to see who could do the most grown up thing for their parties. Presents included pretty much anything. Around this time most people started working and earning their own money so gifts, although maybe not so expensive or personal, didn't fall into any one category - except nothing nerdy like a book (gasp!).

When you entered university/college, the group of friends helping you celebrate your day diminished. Left were the close friends who took you out to dinner and let you decide on the place. The choice of restaurants began to change though. East Side Mario's wasn't the default anymore as taste and price ranges expanded (this may also have something to do with access to a car). Presents became more thoughtful and varied. Books were allowed back in as an acceptable gift.

(Note: I am perfectly willing to accept any of the above as a present for my upcoming birthday. Especially a Nintendo. With Mario Bros. #1-3)

2 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
I can tell you're a kid of the 80's from all the toys you mentioned! You forgot to mention that as you age you try to forget your birthday is even coming!

Glad to see your school schedule worked out so well. This means you will have to come home more often!

Good luck with the moving!

Blogger Sarah said...
I liked Duckhunt.. ya know where you shoot the duck with the gun... but the boys barely ever let me play.. :(