Thursday, September 14, 2006
I have a tiny confession to make...

And I don't want anyone judging me for it. Or laughing. Though you will laugh. Or at least make fun. Well, knowing the people who read this, you'll do both.

I based most of my expectations of my first year of law school from Legally Blonde.

Ok, I'll wait til you digest that.

Done?

Yes, it feels good to say that out loud. Unless of course I am being made fun of.

But in honesty, I had no idea what to expect of my classes and being more nervous than any other time in my life, I turned to the only source of solace my generation knows - TV and movies. I mean if I can't get comfort from the big screen, where else? Friend and family? (Oh yeah...friends and family...should've thought of that before) But at that point the only person I knew who'd gone to an American law school was Reese Witherspoon. And so I watched the movie and was surprised to find a lot of similarities. From the subject being discussed in class (I had no idea what mens rea was when I first watched it, now I can recite about three cases on the subject) to the people and even the dreaded and much feared Socratic method (still haven't been called on in class...) they have even included some of the same books I'm using now. Obviously the real thing isn't exactly like the movie, but it was still a little comforting.

There! Are you happy? I've divulged my hidden secret to the public.


Classes are going well. The only thing is that because we get called on randomly in class, we always have to be prepared with all our readings and case briefs. Not only for that but it's easier to follow along because the prof will give no notes - it's all discussion. We were told in orientation that we don't come to lecture to learn, that's up to us to do on our own, but to discuss and affirm what we've learned. I say, "Dude! I could so totally do that all on my own back in my hood! Why am I paying all these bills for this next ish? For realz, thas whack." (I really do talk like that in my head). But it is just a completely different experience than undergrad. A lot more work - you get behind in one class, you seem to be behind in all of them. You realize this by week 2. The other thing you realize is that your brain has to somehow delete all unnecessary trivia and information to make room for the massive amounts of information you have to take in and learn for the final exam (90% of the final mark; midterm is 10%...in the second year it's 100% exam...awesome...).
Sadly life is taking a turn...more like a rotation, around school. Mention the words "going out" to a law student and pale face will look up from behind a 1200 page casebook, blink twice, and try frantically look up the phrase in the legal dictionary next to him/her.
It's all about time management, they tell me. Perfect. I lack any and all knowledge and predisposition to time management. Regardless of the organizers, calendars and schedules that I fill up with things to do, I will, without a doubt, get somehow sidetracked and end up wasting hours of useful time doing something useless. I'm too stubborn to follow my own schedule. (" Dude, me follow a schedule? Like, that's totally not, like, what's gonna control me, ya know what I'm sayin'? I follow rules for no one...not even me!") Yes. I'm that stubborn.
It's a matter of getting used to, I know, everyone tells me that too. Since it's only been week 2 I can't say much more. Meeting new people is my next biggest concern, since I'm shy and don't end up meeting people easily but I've been lucky to meet the great people I have, and even a few people from the Toronto area - yay!
There's a Contracts casebook calling my name so I'm out. If anyone has any good time management or study tips let me know, please? Free legal advice! (in 3 years...!)