Wednesday, September 06, 2006
Either I'm crazy, or there are a lot of noisy ducks outside my apartment. Or maybe one big loner duck. Maybe a goose? What do geese sound like? I figured they made sounds similar to ducks, maybe with more baritone. Anyone know?

Well there is a big river that runs right behind my place (don't get all excited, I don't have a lush riverside apartment, it's not a very clean river, but still can be pretty now and then) and I see a lot of lilly pads. Just no animals to be seen. Yet I hear that/those duck(s). Shouldn't they be flying South about now? The sound doesn't bother me as much as the fact that I can't see them.

Alright I'm crazy. I've gone into "The Shining" mode and whacked out like the main character Jack, snowed-in in a huge hotel with his wife and son. Until today, I was under a sort of house arrest, stuck in my apartment for 4 days with nothing to do other than watch TV, read, do my school reading assignments, set-up house, and watch old episodes of ER (I came prepared with all my DVDs from home). I don't get my car until maybe end of this week or next so I've not been able to wander far from home.

I'm still getting used to the idea of living on my own. I came from a house with 6 people down to just 1. And I gotta tell you, I'm not that amusing. I thought I could handle it, but turns out my family provided much needed distraction each and every day. And my place is big enough for one person, so I'm not claustraphobic (I could literally fit a twin/single mattress in the closets - they're huge). But when you come home and it's just you, after spending the whole day with you, you need to get away...from you...(see the crazy is starting to talk again). And nothing, other than the old TV and "homework", is there to save you from yourself.

I don't know why people are in a hurry to move out of their parent's nest. Sure there may be more freedom - you come and go as you please, but I think we put too much thought and weight into the "independence" factor. Moving out on your own will force you to be independent (no more "Mommmm, what's for dinner???") but I don't think you're a greater person for it. I made and spent my own money (I don't think I've ever spent anything of my parents after getting a job at 16...just never felt right - birthday money excluded). I have a few more responsibilities like paying a few more bills, rent, housekeeping, but nothing life-changing has happened.

Okay, so technically it hasn't even been a full week since I've been living on my own, but so far it's not anything special. I miss the hub-bub of home. Though it's funny, when I was home I remember wishing I could be on my own on a number of occassions because I never felt I was alone with so many people milling about - we're never satisfied! It's nuts!

I'll tell you what else is nuts...that damn duck down by the river...
6 Comments:
Blogger Sarah said...
I am disappointed in you Deej... you call urself a Canadian yet you don't even know what a goose sounds like? Hello.. dont u rem those annoying Canadian geese that poop everywhere! And yeah, they sound like ducks, but dont quack so much as they squawk. Why do i know so much bout gooses.. geese?

AND btw, you are so amusing! Your everyday stories and ur insights about everything are sooo funny.. Keep em coming. My blog has died or something.. i jus cant bring myself to write anything meaningful or coherent more importantly since I came back from over there. My English is berry bad now and don't even ask me about my vocab. It's still slowly recovering. But i've got pictures from my trip. But i look fobtastic. yess, more than usual.

Blogger AKA said...
"But i look fobtastic. yess, more than usual."

More than usual? Not possible :p I'd have to see it to believe it!

I know what a Canadian good looks like, I just don't think they were ever noisy aroun me enough for me to notice the depth of their sound. And I can't tell if my duck is quacking or squawking...what's the diff?

Blogger Sarah said...
WELL.. since you asked...

Quack: the harsh, throaty cry of a duck

Squawk: to utter a loud, harsh cry when frightened

And what the heck happend to ur spelling skills! Hawww hai.

Blogger Hash & Hana said...
Hey you! It's entertaining to read about your Michigan experiences. I think I'm living vicariously through you... being on your own, starting at a new university.

Good luck with everything!

Hana :)

Blogger AKA said...
Sarah, What's wrong with my spelling?? It's called a typo if anything silly.

Hana, thank you so much for the good wishes. But I gotta say, if you're living the experience through me, it's not amounting to much so far lol.

Blogger singlemuslimah said...
Oh, Lord. I live in a house of 7 and I'm planning on moving out. I can't wait but I know I'm going to miss some of it. We're never satisfied.