Tuesday, March 27, 2007
Run as fast as I might, I've been tagged by Isheeta in her latest entry so now, keeping within the Code of the Blogger, I must oblige and give you 5 Things you didn't know about me.

(I know I did something similar a little while ago, but I'm digging up more fun facts for you're reading pleasure. And I must admit, like Isheeta said, tags are cool because they make you feel special for being singled out and since we all crave attention in one way or another, I am blushing, but oh-so-happy [Thanks Isheeta ;)])

1. My first and only stitches were caused by an iron

When I was about 5-6 years old my cousins and I were jumping on my grandmother's bed and falling so that we'd land sitting down. All was well until I landed on the plug from a nearby iron in such a way that it got stuck in my lower back and I had to be rushed to the hospital for stitches. In the meantime, while the adults were trying to figure out if I'd need stitches or not, they thought they should put ice on it and unfortuntely we didnt have any more ice (these were the days before the automatic ice dispensers in the fridge - they were called ice trays - had to be manually filled with water and placed in the freezer *gasp*) so, the parents did the next best, and obvious, thing - the put a freezie on it [the flavoured, sugar-syrup concentrated, frozen ice pop in the plastic] and then drove me to the hospital to get a whole whack load of stitches. I was so traumatized (maybe still am?) that all I remember is that the doctor telling me they'll need to use a needle, and then everything went black...


2. My younger sister and I are 16 years apart.

Crazy I know. I recently met a girl who was 21 years apart from her brother so it made me feel much better. But despite the difference, she, my brother and I all get along as if the age difference was only a couple of years. She's starting to act much older and we've always been mischievous so it works out great. She's the most funniest person I know and the best thing is she doesn't really notice the age gap. Although now, as my brother and I are moving on with education and out of the house, she's getting a little more lonely...


3. I have a purse fetish

Yes, it is true. As non-materialistic as I want to be, when it come to bags and purses, some other force takes over and there's no control. It's come to the point where I am scolded by all members of the household (includinig the younger sister) when they see me with another new bag. So I work up ways to convince them that it really is a bag I've had for a long time and I just haven't used it in awhile (I say this while trying to distract their attention away from the tag I am attempting to yank off). I don't really care for designer labels but look for different details and styles...and yadda yadda yadda....blah blah...you've stopped reading at this point I believe.


4. I've been attempting to write a book for about a year now.

So some of you do know this, so it's a little cheat, but either way, it counts. I have the title, the idea of what it'll be able, a vague description of the lead character. And no, I'm not spending my time deciding what handbag she will carry. But it's hard to develop a character you know nothing about. Which sounds absolutely ridiculous to some when I've said that, since I am the one writing the character, but when I write I tend to add my own self into it too much and I don't like that. You know your faults too well and know nothing of your virtues. I'd rather set up a character who has her own flaws. Again...stopped reading three sentences ago didn't you?


5. If I weren't going to be a lawyer, I'd be a newspaper journalist.

Maybe work with world news, or arts & entertainment. Write the horoscopes? Obituaries? Or even just the retractions. Maybe a write like Vinay Menon (read his stuff if you need a laugh out loud morning)?I started to get interested in junior high, but my parents (love you) said that I would much prefer to be a doctor. Anything that didn't have to do with me travelling, especially to strange places with strange people who may influence me to do strange things. Yes, these are the same set of parents allowing me to go to Australia. Ironic, isn't it?




So now it's my turn to do that tagging! And for that we'll get....Pyari, Enyur, Ruby, Ephemeral Nature (that'll teach you to blog once every 3 months), Ahmed and Roohi.
I don't know how many people I'm allowed to tag, so I got a little carried away.... ;)

TAG! You're IT!
19 Comments:
Blogger Recovering D said...
My FIRST Tag, I'm so excited! Thanks!I'll do this when I get back. Oh and you and I share #4&5 in common :)'Cept my books in my head. and I confess at times when I was unsure about my LSAT score, or whether or not I got into law school I'd just surf through all the Journalism job ads, almost to the point of writing out my cover letters LOL

Blogger BanikaB said...
I think I can solve your novel problem.....USE MY VIRTUES!!! We can morph ourselves together for all of time in your novel!

Blogger AKA said...
Pyari - My book is half in my head, half on my computer. When the two will merge, I have no clue. I can't force myself to sit down and just write. I'll eventually wander away. Sad thing is that inspiration tends to hit me when I have no pen/paper around so I'm forced to memorize my ideas (though the good lines are lost, always) or call my voicemail and leave long nonsensical messages.

Anika - your virtues? I'm trying to write a novel here, not a picture book. (OH DISSS...still love you!)

Blogger ZenDenizen said...
I had a bag fetish too but then I got so sick of transferring the contents all the time and showing up at places without ID and saying, "uh it's in my other bag..." :)

Blogger Roohi said...
Deeja, that's cheating!

I already knew 4 out of 5! :p

Blogger En said...
Oh Darn! LOL! okay, I will try to post one up sometime this week!!

lol, i do the same thing you do with purses with all my purchases! anytime my family notices something new, i either tell them i got it on sale or that i bought it a long time ago. seems to work ;)

Blogger AKA said...
Zendenizen - that's a line I know all too well. I'm slowly growing out of this habit, especially now that I realize I can't take all my bags with me :(

Roohi - I can't help it! I already did a similar post before. I don't think there's much more people care to know. All that's left is my address and phone number!

Enyur - Looking forward to reading yours :)

CS&B - So far it's worked for me. But darn kids and their good memory! My sister somehow seems to know it's knew and has ratted me out (though she didn't know it was supposed to be a secret).

Blogger Ahmed said...
Yay, my first tag! And you're right tags are fun! Thanks :)

I've never had stiches...I think it'd be scary now.

That is a big difference, my sister and I are only 5yrs apart.

Hmm...I prefer jackets and shoes.

Can I get a signed 1st edition?

I think most jobs in the media would fun.....possibly b/c I just want to be famous :P

Blogger youngMuslimah said...
Hi aka..Nice to know a little more about you :-).

Blogger youngMuslimah said...
aka, I'm sorry for being off-topic, but I really need to know this. Is australia really racist like I get to hear from people? My bro plans to do his PG, and he's contemplating btw canada and oz. What do you say??

Blogger AKA said...
Ahmed - Signed first edition is yours, as long as you dont mind waiting another 5 years or so...

Frenchita - I heard that about Australia a long time ago, but I don't know how true it is or if it's just an unfair generalization. There is a fair bit of diversity there from what I understand. What type of program/degree is a "PG"? Choosing between Australia and Canada is hard - one is going to be my home for 2 years and the other has been my home since I was born. There are good and bad qualities to both. Maybe you can email me to tell me what schools your brother is looking into applying to and what cities and inshAllah I will try to give you as much information as I can. email: halfacupofchai@gmail.com

Blogger youngMuslimah said...
aka, jazakallah khayran, that was really sweet of you.
PG is 'Post Graduation'. My bro graduated from med school. He's currently doing internship at a hospital in dubai, UAE, which will end next feb insha'Allah.
If I want any info, I'll let you know, thanks again for the help.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
On Number 2.

The age difference between my sibblings and I is a respective 15 and 19 years.... wait until you're a little older honey, then you'll feel the gap between you and your little sister....

Either than the reassurance that my parents 'got it on' well into their later years. I find it hard having to relate to my older sibblings. I love them but it gets confusing becuase they behave like parents most times when the situation does not go in their favour. Either than that we all love each other, so what does it matter... I practically raised my eldest niece... now that she is an adolescent it's best she spends time with her parents, she is a real handful! Easier when she was in diapers and couldn't back answer!

Lovies,
S

Anonymous Anonymous said...
This was fun! Thanks!

Is that a turtle crossing the road?

Blogger youngMuslimah said...
hey this is frenchita( I hate the name dont know how I used it*shudder* )how abt this one? btw I just cant post! The IE goes 'page unavailable' and firefox doesn't help either:(

Blogger Hafsa said...

Blogger M&M said...
lol that is pretty jokes

my n my baby sis r almost 15 years apart so i know how that feels.

hav u had moments when she was younger that people asked u if she was ur kid:O?

Blogger AKA said...
Many, many, many apologies for the late reply. Not being a blog snob, just going a teeny bit insane with things at home.

Frenchita/YoungMuslimah - Sorry, I didn't know it was called PG there. I don't know a great amount of detail about medical students/doctors coming to the US or Canada, but I do know that it is hard to get placements and they give preference to students here. He'll have to write the USMLE and need a really good score to be competitive. I know this very general information which you already know, but I don't know anyone who's done this very well.

Samosa That's what my brother (3 years younger) and I are afraid of - my sister growing up as an only child without knowing her brother and sister. Right now she behaves like we're all the same age and doesn't really get the age difference, which works for everyone. But I guess that awareness will grow as she gets older...

Ruby Your 5 was great! Still can't belive you were almost kidnapped...

Yes it's a turtle. I'd like to think the little guy got there with a lot of struggle, and will have the same trouble getting across the second half...just like me..?

Hafsa I will do it asap! Just got to rack my brain for more things.

M&M YES!! My mom used to be afraid that people would think she's my kid when she was younger so tried to avoid me carrying her in public LOL. But now I guess people may think she's my kid or neice or possibly my sister. I'm glad to see it's not just me with this big sibling gap!