Monday, October 30, 2006
Well. It's here. B-Day (not the album...my birthday).

I'm (sort of) over the anxiety of turning 24, but what the actual depressing part of the day is being away from family and friends. I know it's childish, but not being home for Eid and my birthday has left this whole month pretty bleak.

But, I am here for a specific purpose (I guess...[see? More bitterness]). I feel like I'm having a Gilmore Girls moment - though I've never watched the show (only the ads) - and am thinking about what the future holds and how this next year will be very different from the last. I'm staying positive and though I know that no matter how many candles I blow out, all my wishes won't come true, I'm just praying for the best.

What did I learn this year? That I have a the love and support of a lot of good people. That it's not as scary to move away from home as I'd thought. And that it's not that hard to cook (I'm happy and proud to report that
I made a cheesecake today. ME. BAKE. It was fantabulous.). I'm sure there were more small lessons learned, but the good thing about those are that you adapt them to your life in such a way that you don't even realize you're doing it.

So I know this won't be the best of birthdays, but I'm going home this coming weekend and my favourite aunt from California is coming down too so it will be good to spend time with everyone then. And at the risk of sounding like a Hallmark card, I think now is the point in your life where you realize the it's not the day itself, but how you celebrate it. Right now I'm celebrating having everything I'm fortunate to have and being on the path I'm following.

Wow, I sound so grown up.

Damn it.


[Update 3:47pm -- I thought I had a harsh case of denial to the point that I refuse to acknowledge my age until the actual time I was born (5:15pm), my father took it one step further and said that since the nurses didn't come out to tell him about me until 5:30pm, he'll hold out until then to accept I'm 24 - now you all know where I get it from. My mom on the other hand called about 11pm last night and said that if it hadn't been for Daylight Savings just a couple days ago, it would already be my birthday so she was just wishing me at 11pm because she was sleepy and didn't want to wait until midnight and it was pretty much my birthday and I was now 24. My brother took after her. There's still time to mold the little one to accept my view; 7 year olds have no set dispositions.]
9 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!

It's NOT that bad turning older, trust me because I'm someone older! You have always had a good character so I had no fear in how you'd turn out. But you could have turned out better if you copied me more ;)

Wish you lots of fun and happiness and a lot of success in everything for the next year to come.

Blogger RandomLiterati said...
a) That cake only has 7 candles on it...I think you're a few short :P

b) I want raspberry cheesecake...as weird as how you made it sounds

c) You stole the '24' icon!!!! Good choice though...

d) Your berday isn't the same without you actually being here...how long do I actually have to wait to give you the beats? (But I wonder if I can do that many without my hand becoming sore... :P dont worry its only 6 months before I face the same!!!)

e) As I say every year to you...things become better with age, like cheese...mmm...cheese...

f) Hope you have a wonderful year Insha'Allah and may Allah swt bless you with the best of everything and give you all the joy and success and you know, that other dua'a that all the aunties give *hint hint* and hope the next three years go by super fast because I miss my partner in crime!!! Who else will go see useless movies with me or spontaneously go out on a Friday night? Sigh, at least our parents are happy that we're home more now...anyways back to my dua'a. So yeah, hope everything goes wonderful for you Insha'Allah and hope Michigan becomes somewhat bearable!!!

g) Ok I'm done now

h) Almost...this is a sign of what a good friend I am- I typed this whole message despite my fingers being burned and hard to type...well who knew glassware could be so hot?! You owe me!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Doesn't cheese get mouldy with time??? Just a thought....

Anyways, happy birthday Khadeeja. Hope you have a great year inshallah.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
happy b-day afreen... wow, only 24 years young eh... enjoy it while it lasts... the mid-twenties are like the prime years, u feel like you can do anything... u'r ready for the world!... just watch out for the late twenties, cuz they come outta nowhere!

Blogger singlemuslimah said...
Happy Birthday, sweetie! Have a fabulous year!

Blogger AKA said...
Rubina: Thank you! I did enjoy the cheesecake but after two slices I felt guilty so it's in the freezer now.

Furheen: As someone older, you're obviously going to say that lol. But thank you anyways. And I don't want to even imaging where I'd be if I had copied you...

Shaz: a) I'd have a fire hazard happening if I used the correct number of candles
b) I'll make you one...a BETTER one
c) Actually, they stole it from ME.
d) If I see a pen anywhere near you when I see you this week, I'm running for cover. That's all I'm saying - we all know the story of why.
e) you called me cheese. enough said.
f) blah, blah, blah...
g)Thank God.
h) I owe YOU? I think from the pen stabbing incident, we're now even. But tell your fingers I appreciate it all the same.

Irfan (code name Smurf): you called me mouldy cheese. We were on the same side - what happened!? Thanks anyways...

Rehan: thanks for the advice! Right now the only thing I feel I can take on is this blog. Even that seems daunting...

SingleMuslimah: Thank you!!! I hope it's good...I'll keep you posted ;)

A certain brother who reads but refuses to comment: dude, what's my bday present? Three words: eBay gift certificate. Done. And watch Heroes. WE TELEKINESIN'!!! (Sorry folks, a brother-sister inside joke. If you only knew...)

Blogger Sarah said...
Happy Belated Bday Deej!!! You know I love you!! I haven't been on the net in so long.. and everytime i come on you hav like 4 new posts and i have finally been able to go back and read them all and fell upon this one. Much love and duaa... and again sorry for the false alarm.. I know ur 24. Hahaha I jus got what Shazia was talkin bout... sorry, I'm a lil slow these days :S

Blogger AKA said...
Excuses, excuses SARAH.

Well...since it is true that I have mad love for you, I'll forgive you. This time. But you should start updating your blog too!! What exactly has you sooo busy these days ;)?