Being Ramadan, the month of fasting, Muslims like myself get up early before dawn and have an even earlier meal. It's always hard to stomach this meal because most of the time we're half-asleep and eager to eat, pray and get back into our warm beds. Though as I've grown older, I've come to appreciate this pre-dawn tradition more, it still makes for a quick and small meal, despite the fact that this meal is to tide us over until sunset when we break our fast. Normally, I have no problem - no pangs of hunger or urges to stuff a candy bar down my throat. My routine consists of cereal and maybe a slice of toast in the morning and then dinner in the evening.

Today was different. Today was the day I decided to give myself a small treat for studying so hard, and to sympathize with myself over the fact that this is my first Ramadan away from my family so I'm alone in the mornings. This treat was pancakes.

Like I said, normally, I can barely understand what I'm putting in my mouth let alone actually make it (Mom was always great for that). But it was 4am and I had trouble sleeping and hadn't eaten much the evening before, so I thought I'd get up to make myself some pancakes, go back to sleep, and wake up for pre-dawn prayers.

It started out well, seeing as how the kitchen is still unchartered territory for me. I got out my (pre-mixed) batter, added my egg amd milk, mixed, and heated up my non-stick pan. First pankcake came out almost-perfectly round, well-cooked on both sides and just the right size. I'd say and 8/10 - a valiant effort.

Once I put the pancake into my plate I turned my attention to the still-sealed bottle of maple-syrup my mom sent up with me to Michigan. All the while the gas stove was still on (low heat) to keep the pan warm for my second pancake.

Then it happened.

The most high-pitched, shrill, wake-up-the-dead-loud, wailing from the smoke-detector by the kitchen.

I froze. Then, "OhmygodohmygodohmygodOHMYGOD!!!!"

I whipped around back to the stove, twisted the knob to turn off the heat, moved the pan off the burner and flipped on the switch for the overhead fan. It started whirring at once, but the siren kept going. I could hear it sound on the bottom floor through my intercom (I'm on the 7th floor mind you). I was sure it was going off on every floor.

I ran around frantically trying to open windows and fan the air away from the smoke detector. I opened and closed the front door a few times to get the smoke out.

"Shut up. Oh God help me - why won't it SHUT UP!?!?!". Thoughts of an angry mob storming down the hall towards me in my apartment flooded my mind. What if the super comes up here? What if someone calls the fire department?! My apartment is a mess! At the last thought I began scooping up things on the floor and throwing them into the closet.

I was so getting kicked out. I'd have to live in my car. People won't hold the elevator for me. I will get dirty looks forever when I go to get my mail. "There goes the idiot who set off the alarm at 4 IN THE MORNING" they'd say.

What would I say back? Sorry I can't use a stove? Sorry I wanted pancakes? Who the hell thought I could live on my own!?!?! What am I --

It stopped.

As quickly as it hard started the piercing sound stopped. Still clutching a spatula in my hand I stopped moving, for fear I'd set it off again. Then, I waited.

1 minute rolls by. No neighbours come to the door.

5 minutes - no phone calls.

15 minutes - no fire engine sirens, no super.

Nothing. Relief. Thank you God. I sank into a nearby chair and shut my eyes. Due to shock over the incident I had lost all remaining appetite and left the pancake and remaining batter on the kitchen counter.

Then my eyes popped open. Heyyyy...what if I was really in trouble? Would no one come? How long would I have to wait before someone bothered to check what happened to the poor girl on the 7th floor at 4am!? What kind of selfish, uncaring neighbours did I have! Was the building full of heavy sleepers? Well, next time they set off the smoke detector, I'm not doing anything until they pry me away from my apartment. Hmph.

(on a completely sidetracked note, I now understand what a couple people told me about the blog being too wide - I think it has something to do with Firefox settings because I've now started using it instead of IE, where it was always fine. I've tried messing around with the settings but got nowhere, so if anyone knows how to set up the html so you don't have to scroll to see the sidebars, please let me know? Thanks.)

14 Comments:
Blogger singlemuslimah said...
This post reminds me of my younger sister, she absolutely cannot cook. She once started a grease fire in the kitchen. It was bad. She swears she's not leaving home until she's married and then only if the brother can cook. Or hire a cook. I can't belive no one came to check on you. Maybe the walls are really thick? Oh well, better luck next time.
Ramadan Mubrarak!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
i think the reason its so wide is because your previous post had that really long 'word' with all the phobias separated by dashes... so just put a space between one of the dashes to separate it into two or three words and u should be fine.. i think at least... try it...

Blogger Sarah said...
So back to the cereal & toast suhoor again huh?

Hahahaa you are too funny! And yeah, apartment smoke detectors are crazy sensitive. Awww bechari, u didn't even get to enjoy ur first perfectly round pancake :(

Blogger AKA said...
SingleMuslimah: Thankfully there have been no fires (though since I'm not used to a gas stove, I still worry about that). And as embarrassing as it is at my age to admit I can't cook, maybe I can look into hiring a cook...

Rehan: You rock. No, seriously. I'd been driving myself nuts wondering why it showed up like that and I just thought it was because of the browser, since I switched the same day. I started messing around with all the html codes thinking it was that. It's always the simple thing! THANKS!

Sarah: Unless you willing to send me food, it's down to cereal again. I think it'll be awhile before I attempt pancakes again.

Blogger twistedbrick said...
Hey nothing to do with the post, but I'm going to be an extra in a Shah Rukh Khan movie that is filming in Melbourne over the next two months!

Blogger AKA said...
YOU'RE WHAT!?!?

When!?

HOW!!

Do I have time to come to Melbourne for this (to see you of course :P)?? Lee-Ann you're henceforth known as "The Luckiest Girl I Know". You're sending me any pictures you take right??? Tell him I love him please? But in a non-fanatical-stalker way of course :D

The closes thing I'm getting to a celebrity is that I'm going to see Wentworth Miller's (the main character on the show "Prison Break") dad next month. Wanna switch!?!?

Blogger AKA said...
Oh and what's the name of the movie? :)

Blogger Hash & Hana said...
I'm so glad you're not ending the blog! Happy Ramadan and keep us updated with your law school antics. :)

Hana

Anonymous Anonymous said...
dun worry, living away and having to cook for urself is interesting at first. i didnt have a rolling pin, so i ended up putting flour on a coke can to roll out my roti...then i had the bright idea to drink the same can of coke when i was dun rolling my roti...i'll let u figure out what happend next.
Ramandan Mubarak!

Blogger RandomLiterati said...
Today for iftaar I was making something and rolling out the dough for it...but the dough kept sticking to the rolling pin and lifting it up so I decided to use my hands instead to pat it down and make it thin. But it worked!

Since when does my brother visit your blog?!?!? Stay away!!!

Blogger AKA said...
Irfan bhai! Welcome! Seriously...I'm with Shaz - since when do you visit my blog? I shoulve taken some cooking lessons from your sister before coming here though I'm wondering why she's telling you to stay away from my blog!?! I'm hurt...

Blogger Sarah said...
Hahaha Irfan makes roti?!?!.. sadly, he's 2 steps ahead us Khadeeja...

Anonymous Anonymous said...
lessons from my sister???? please....what u really need is lessons from me! my cooking can skool her cooking n e day. and yes, i have made my own roti a few times. and whats wrong wid me visiting ur blog?

Blogger AKA said...
ooooh BURN! Dude, somebody going to get a hurt real bad from Shaz, and it's not me (for once). Don't worry Irfan, I got your back - we can hold Lucky as a shield (he's big enough)

There's nothing wrong with you reading my blog, in fact I'm flattered. I just never expected it. And it shows up my brother which is cool.