Friday, October 20, 2006

I feel old. My birthday is in exactly 10 days and I'll be 24 (though a friend did try to expedite my aging process by one year and thought I'd be 25...scared the bejeezes out of me) and though I know in technical terms I'm not old, it's that point in life where you feel you alone are carrying the weight of the world alone on your frail shoulders.

Quarter-life crisis? Probably. I'd hate to admit that I fell face-first into it, but I think it's just a rite of passage you have to go through, consciously or unconsciously. It's the worst feeling to be so restless. I thought it would settle down once starting law school, but it's only gotten more complex. Or am I making it complex? Or...maybe, it's gotten complex and I'm only making it worse. Each day that you experience tends not to make you wiser but more aware. Although, Confucius say that greater awareness makes for a wiser man. Yes but Confucius also said:
At 30, I took my stand;
At 40, I no longer had doubts;
At 50, I knew the will of the heavens;
At 60, my ear was attuned;
At 70, I follow all the desires of my heart without breaking any rule
So he was either asleep, or high on Chinese herbs while in his 20s. I guess, had he been willing to part with an opinion, he would say that in your 20s, your forming the character that will serve you through the rest of your years (great, add more stress to my already stressed state of mind).

Forcing myself to look on the positive side, I would think it's good for us to be aware that this is the time to build your character, regardless of how old we feel doing it. The more conscious of it that you are, the better you can tune in and out the qualities you want in yourself.

But rather than looking to a 6th century BCE Chinese philosopher, I turned to the age-old trusted source for guidance. Rock stars. In the words of John Mayer (a genius, I tell you).


4 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Thanks for the comment and keeping up! Yes, I did get into UBC, I'm on the wait list for January, but if nothing opens up I'll get a spot next Sept. So exciting, and I love Canada mucho. Forgot to blog the news because I've already pretty much told everyone, ha! And I just turned 24 in August and felt the same way you do... I'm pretty allergic to growing up, but I think it won't be so bad. Good luck in Michigan :)

Blogger Sarah said...
Sorrry Deej... i swear, i wasn't trying to jump the gun. tee hee.

Blogger singlemuslimah said...
Happy Birthday!
I know how you feel, I'll be 25 in a few months and I'm really not looking forward to it.

Blogger twistedbrick said...
Happy birthday, although I hate birthdays and think it should be a non-event. Don't get me started on growing old. I've been having a life crisis every year since the age of 16. What do you call that -a one-seventh life crisis? I've only just become used to being 23, but my birthday is coming up soon. Arugh!!! If I didn't set myself so many things to achieve by a certain age I probably wouldn't have all these life crisis'! "Focus on character building, focus on character building," I will now tell myself.