Saturday, July 22, 2006
Books. lectures, assignments, all mean one thing: back to school! And though the leaves haven't hinted at a change in hue, I see small signs in Staples advertising "Back to School" items. Besides the books/lectures/assignments one more important detail comes to mind when thinking about a post-secondary education: money.

So, despite know for about a year that I'll be heading to our Southern neighbours to start law school and having a pretty regular job, I managed to squander a lot of my money and save little (next to the amount I need). So in the last few months I've attempted to mend my weary ways and start saving and paying off those evil little plastic cards designed to give you spending freedom and open you up to a down-spiral of debt.

Now, despite my efforts to make myself out to be different than the norm, I've somehow landed face-flat into the stereotype that girls like to shop. A lot. Though I know I'm not a greedy or stingy person; most items I buy are for people in my family, still we don’t share the bill. And good intentions cannot pay off a Visa balance. And I won't say how much is "a lot" (it's more interesting to let each person interpret it for their own) because each opinion will be different. But dangle a shiny silver bracelet, or stylish top ("does it come in aqua blue?") and you've caught the attention of the majority of females.

I bought something at a local store (one of those Zellers/Wal-Mart type ones) and though it cost a little more than I'd expected from a store of that quality/credibility, I bought it anyhow (despite the disapproving look I got from my mom) with some deliberation and indecisiveness. A week later I decided that I had enough clothes and that this particular item of clothing wasn't all that necessary to own. So off it went back to the store from which it came. Once returned I got back a rounded figure of $40. Happy with myself I thought, since I didn't have much else to do that day, I'd walk around the shopping centre attached to the store just to browse -- of course, since I'd made back my $40 and was on my no-buying-useless-items streak, I wouldn't be buying anything.

My luck ran out the moment I stepped foot into the busy crowd of the shopping centre and in front of one of my favourite stores. "Won't hurt just to look around at their new items!" I naively think to myself. So I scrunched up my determination and walked in. No sooner had I done so and a trendy, young salesgirl approached me.
>Hi! How are you? she asked
>>(my, what spunk you have!) Umm, fine thanks.
>Can I help you find anything today?
>>Nope, thanks, just looking around
> Ok, great! (there it is again) Just so you know all of our jewelry is on sale as well as our T-shirts which are 2 for $20! Great deal!
>> (Ugh, why'd you have to go and say that for?) Ok. Thanks. (Must stay focused! Do not fall into the 'bargain deal' trap. Been there, too many times, not going to work - you're a fierce, non-shopping, penny-wise girl). As I pep-talked my way through the store while flipping through different items displayed on racks, another trendy salesgirl called out a greeting to me and explained the promotions in a store. This time I just nodded my head and kept my gaze lowered to avoid eye contact with any other salespeople who may be looking around for a prey. I saw one coming towards me, his hands filled with items to for the display, his head turned to one side, he couldn't see me in his pathway as I quickly ducked and turned only to come face to face with yet another salesperson.
> "Hi!" said the chipper voice of the older trendy woman.
>>"Hi" I mumbled back.
>"Can I help you look for anything? I noticed you looking at some items, can I help with a size?" she said, eyes full of hope
>>"Uh, no. No, thank you. I'm just looking around." I tried my best nonchalant smile.
>"Let me show you some of the jewelry we have on sale," she persisted, hand on my shoulder guiding me to turn around to look at the display behind me, "see anything you like?"
>>"No, well I mean yes, I, uh, wait...this is nice" I said, voice faltering as a picked up a pale gold necklace. 9.95? Marked down from $24.99, well...that is pretty good. And I can wear it with some different things..."Sure, I'll take this."
>"Great! Now, how about a top to go with it?"
>>*Click* Whoa lady. "NO! I mean, no thanks. Just that please." I said, suddenly realizing the tiny voice at the back of my head repeating my pep-talk from moments ago.
>"Oh, well sure, ok. I'll have someone ring it up for you."

Ok. Down by $10 bucks from the $40 or so I got back. I'm still up by $30. It's ok. Minor set-back. Just get out of the mall and you'll be fine. Get out. Repeat. Red alert. Get out! Get o--!

Too late, I spotted Sephora the make-up haven for non-drugstore items that were rare, ie. expensive, to find in most department store. Well..I could use a nice eyeliner. Something of better quality for evening events. Ok. Just one eyeliner. It is, afterall, something I need, not a frivolous expense.

Content with the console I gave myself, I wandered the brightly lit aisles looking for the much coveted eyeliner. After a short consultation with a nearby salesperson, I found what I had long-searched for and I checked the tag.
>>"$15.00?"
>"Yes! It's a great deal for our own line. Perfect for what you need it for." she said nodding enthusiastically.
>>"Really? Well, it is cheaper than all the other brands..." and I would have eventually bought one, right? Why are they all so spunky?
>Also check out the clearance items we have here now. Everything is marked down to $5!
>> Gulp. "$5? Sounds good..." too good. Dammit.
>It is! And we never have sales, so it's good to take advantage of now.
>"Oh, ok then, I'll just check what's there. I really should be spending money. I'm saving for school" I blurted out.
>>"Really...?" the salesgirl smiled eyeing my other bag in hand, "you must be pretty disciplined to do that."
Great, she's mocking me. Lady in the make-up store with too much make-up on is mocking me!? With a nervous giggle I attempted to explain myself. Afterall it was only a couple of items. Why was she judging me? She's the persistent, pushy salesperson! And there were more like her in every store. I only have so much will power!

10 minutes later, I walked out of the store (and straight to the parking lot) with my new eyeliner, lip gloss, and hilighter crayon (I still am not clear on it's purpose, but the salesgirl said it'd brighten my eyes -- who doesn't want bright eyes!?) tucked away in my black and white Sephora shopping bag. I did a quick calculation in my head. It seems, that despite the "effort" I put into my day, I came out of that shopping mall with a net gain of $0.10.

Wonderful. Now I can afford one page of a textbook for school.
2 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
khadeeja, u have to learn to get things for free!... so when am i getting my FREE ipod nano?!?!

btw, i'm not sure if you know of this site called bookcloseouts... they've got some pretty good books there at really discounted prices... i saw that book called 'the namesake' there too... anyways, just an FYI if ever u'r looking to buy a book.

Blogger AKA said...
I talked to my peeps who talked to their peeps and the Nano is on it's way (patience!).

Thanks for the link - I hadn't heard of that site. Since I eBay for most of my books. I just borrowed The Namesake from Shaz, so I'm set :)