Wednesday, January 05, 2005
Though I didn't doubt that the tsunami earthquakes would cause chaos around the world, I never expected to be a first hand witness to the effects. I thought I had done my part by donating to the Red Cross and praying for the victims, but it still doesnt feel like enough. I sit back in my comfortable home and watch new channel after news channel with back to back reports about the damage and mayhem happening on the other side of the world and all I am able to do is shake my head in sadness.

A couple came into the bank today and wanted to open an account. From their name it was obvious they were from Sri Lanka, but I didn't know whether to mention something about the tsunami or not. Granted it's not normal bank conversation, but I've never really gone by that norm anyways, so I was thinking of how to bring it about. I asked them where they were from (just to make sure I wasn't totally off) and before I could pursue the husband said he was indeed from Sri Lanka and mentioned the tsunami and if I had heard of it. I said yes of course I had, and I asked if they had any family back home and how they were doing. The husband started telling me that his family was ok, because they were away from the areas that were effected, but it was still really upsetting. At that point his wife started to tear up and look down and away from me. I had no idea what to do or say. Her husband started talk to her and trying to calm her down. Weird thing was that I almost started crying. The couple got up and said they'd be back in a few minutes. When they came back they told me about how his wife's family lost 5 relatives and she was lucky because she had just come to Canada on Dec. 20th - a week before the tsunami.

Eventually I did open the account for them, but it still made me wonder what I could do to help? The biggest thing would be able to go down to the areas myself, but without question I know that wouldnt be a choice. I was hoping someone knew about a local organization where people could volunteer and maybe help collect aid, like money, clothing, food, medicine etc. If anyone does, please do let me know! It made me so incredibly sad when I heard their story, not just for the obvious reason that it's a terrible tragedy, but also because it just became so much more of a stark reality. Hearing it on the news and seeing the pictures is heartbreaking on its own, but have to see someone who was affected by it, though not directly, it just made the situation so surreal.

-----------------------

On a somewhat less frustrating note...I'm immersed in law applications!!! At one point I just gave up and turned away, assuming it would be done on it's own. But eventually I got lured back in and am trying to finish ASAP! It's all the info collecting and running after people writing reference letters, emailing individual schools and on and on.

I know I want to do law....otherwise I wouldnt be spending all this time, energy and money, but I have second thoughts now and then. I really don't know what else I'd be doing in life if not law...I never bothered to come up with a back up plan because I hoped never to need it. But I look at so many people these days who are not even close to the profession they started out in. My dad by profession is a pharmacist. But then he owned a computer business, moved to Malaysia and back, became a banquet hall owner/operator, and now is a mortgage broker. My mom did her Master's degree in genetics and somehow became an esthetician after working for BMO when she came here. And countless other examples...and funny thing is when I hear of strangers who have changed their careers, most of them are lawyers!

It makes me wonder if I'm taking the right steps, but then I also think that if and when I get into law school, it'll give me a lot of experience and ability to do things I've always wanted to. Such as fight civil law cases including spousal and child absue, health issues and discrimination cases. Though the parents want me to do real estate law (I can feel myself getting bored and falling asleep by the mention of it!!) I really want to do something that makes a difference...though everyone says that so the whole notion has become common place, but still....
2 Comments:
Blogger Sarah said...
Khadeeja... I'm realizing thru the blog especially, just how articulate you are.. definitely a lawyer quality ;) Insh'Allah, all will work out for the best, you just keep fighting those demons that make you second guess yourself.. it happens to EVERYONE trust me. Like just think bout how many times all of us have changed our minds about what we want to do with our lives since high school, university.. and i think some of us may even change our minds after university... it's all a part of getting to where we end up (if that makes sense?) Keep on working on those Law Applications.. Insh'Allah everything will work out! Keep the faith :D

Blogger twistedbrick said...
I wonder if Americans even know there was a tsunami the day after Christmas. The day that I wondered that, I found an article in the newspaper here about how the American news did not report much about the tsunami and minor local stories like a cat stuck in a tree were shown first (ok, so maybe I'm exaggerating there, but you get what I mean).