Wednesday, November 24, 2004
Covocation
It went great! I'm glad I changed my mind about going to grad. I ran around the day before at Eaton's Centre trying to find something to wear (yes I know, I'm such a girl) but then realized....I'll have a gown on! So that made it a little easier. Though it started at 7, I had to be there by about 5 to be able rent out the gown ($75 deposit - $15 rental = $60 back when you return it). Of course seeing as how it was my family, we got there about 5:25pm and were faced with the challenge of parking! When I saw how pack it was I thought for sure we'd get some far of spot and I'd have to run to get my gown on time. Thankfully, we got a spot right in front of Convocation Hall! So I left my parents, made a mad dash to Knox College only to find a long line of anxious would-be grads waiting to get their gowns too. I made it through the line pretty quick and it was about 6pm by now but I wanted to see my parents before I went in to get the procession organized. I had told them to wait outside for me so I could see them before we took our seats just because I know they wanted to see me in the gown (awwwh)...but my ulterior motive was to give them my coat and bag lol...yes yes and to see them.

After taking a couple pics I went back inside and went to the room with UofT Mississauga on it and was surprised at how many grads there were from our campus! I had to get my pass and wait until everyone finally arrived. Our Marshall finally stuffed everyone in the small room and began explaining the procedure. She told us to get in our lines according to the number we were given. Easier said than done. It was a flurry of black garments scurrying from one end of the room to the other, asking each other "What number are you?", "Am I in the right line", "What do you mean I need a number!?". Eventually we got ourselves properly lined up. The room got really warmn because of all the people, and we had to wait about a half hour before we were finally led from Knox College out to Con Hall.

It may sound cheesy, but you feel pretty important walking in there with your grad gown on, everyone staring at out, and you making this grand entrance into Con Hall. For those that don't know, Convocation Halls has circular seating like in a stadium rather than auditorium style. As we walked in an organ was playing and then came the cameras. Now I have an idea of what a celebrity goes through on the red carpet, and it's not fun. Hundreds of camera flashes went off left, right and centre as anxious family members snapped away at their darling graduates. It made me pretty dizzy and my head ached a little with all the bright flashes and it took awhile but I finally spotted my parents in the balcony.

So then the ceremony starts and in walk all the PhDs, Deans, President and Chancellor. They take awhile to sit and then the speeches begin. Surprisingly, it didnt take as long as I expected with the speeches - there was one from the President then the Honorary Doctorate was announced and she gave a great speech (anyone know the apparently famor Liona Boyd, a guitarist/singer? Well she was presented the doctorate degree). And then finally our turn! And of course Scarborough went first...they did the Hon. B.A., then B.A.s then the Hon.B.Sc. and B.Sc.s which took awhile. Meanwhile I sat there watching each set of people go up (they send up 2 ppl at a time) shake hands with either the Chancellor or President, then disappear to get their degree and picture taken (they dont give you the actual degree on stage - you just shake hands and leave). Then they did the Mississauga campus in the same order.

Finall my turn! Our Marshall motioned for us to get up and go around the line to wait to be called. I remember my mom waving at me frantically trying to get my attention so she could take a picture. Finally they called my name and I went up with another girl, shook hands with the Chancellor and just turned and walked down the stage and out the door around. One of the volunteers asked me my name and handed me my degree (at last!) and I waited, got my picture taken (which I have no doubt that it turned out badly as all my pics do) and went back inside to take my seat and wait for the rest of the degrees to be conferred.

When it was all over I found my parents, and my dad had bought me roses! We took some pics and I went to return my gown (after having waited in a longer line than the first time around). And about 9:45pm we left. And that was that!

School!

So the grad part is done, but I'm still taking a couple courses and finally feeling the heat - out of nowhere theres so much work that's piled up! I have 2 big papers and a seminar presentation and a test all due Dec. 7th (and a meeting... to top it all off). I was doing ok throughout the semester and now it all comes down to Dec. 7th!

Luckily I only have 2 exams, but unluckily they're both on Dec. 13th so I have to do the whole "study early" thing lol. I have a work Christmas part on Dec.11th and I'm being forced to go (branch bought my ticket) so I thing I'll have to put in all that time management stuff I've heard so much about haha..

Movies
Despite all these deadlines headed my way I still found time to watch some movies after a long time! I saw The Incredibles, and it was hilarious!!! I loved it from beginning to end. Watch out for the baby Jack Jack...you'll see why! I saw The Terminal (I can't say enough about how I love Tom Hanks....really good movie!), Spider-Man 2 (too mushy!! Need more action!! GO Spidey GO!), Veer-Zaara (bollywood movie...pretty good - a little on the emotional side, but the star of the movie made it worth it lol)

hmmm that about covers it for now...but as requested by my loyal fans (shout out to the 2 of you out there...lol) I've updated this and so give me a week or so before I get more to talk about!


4 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Veera Zaara was a good movie for sure. It was an emotional movie no doubt !!!
I really had a tough time suckin it up :)

definitely gonna add this one to my panjabi DVD collection.

faisal.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hey! I loved Veer-Zaara!!! :D

Blogger RandomLiterati said...
Okay I know I'm not a cold and heartless person...on the contrary I'm a very emotional person, but how come I didn't find Veer-Zaara that sad??? I was expecting a cry-fest but I didn't shed a tear...although at the end I had a lump in my throat haha I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet!!! It's an awesome movie though (if you don't look at it from a realistic POV) and yes, the punjabi aspect of it was funny :P

Blogger AKA said...
Hey it couldve been real! And I think in you're aging years you're becoming less emotional and I'm becoming more emotional. But then again I didnt cry in the movie either, though I sort of got teary eyed (that's the power of Shahrukh lol)