Wednesday, February 21, 2007
Recently, a friend of my mom's decided it was her duty to point out my age and marital status in a gathering of Indian family friends for a dinner party.

Now, as some may know, in these family parties there comes to be 4 subsections to the general party. First, there's the Ladies' (aka The Aunties) section, which tends to be in whichever room is closes to the kitchen where the hostess is buzzing about warming up each entree from the moment you arrive. Second is the Men's (aka The Uncles) section, usually the household living room or basement - closest to where the food will be laid out buffet-style, but furthest from the kitchen. The third is the Kids (The-Annoying-Hyper-Brats) section that is either the whole of the upstairs floor (if there is one), concentrated in one child's room, or the whole of the basement (if The Uncles haven't made it their habitat first). The last subsection is usually the smallest and most ignored - The In-Betweeners. These are the not-kids-but-not-adults who really don't know they're place in the party. They're usually pre-teens and teens who don't want to hang out with the young kids and don't necessarily want to hang out with each other but somehow manage to congregate in one area in one of the previously mentioned subsections, or, if they are lucky enough, in front of TV somewhere tuned to something no one really wants to watch but won't decidedly change either.

So, now that you've got the setting down, imagine about 15 or so 30-to-50+ aged women who have this insane ability to start talking about some political issue in India and eventually, without fail end up on the topic of marriage. Who recently married, who will be getting married and who should be getting married. I landed myself smack in the middle of the latter category.

I've made it a point not to attend these parties as I got older. The kids of the family friends are mostly all grown up, away at school or we just are different people who do not get along anymore. My brother and I do make it a point to visit a select few homes who we've known since childhood and who are the ones we genuinely love (aren't they lucky?). So this is where I was. Sitting with The Aunties, making small talk with a newly immigrated bride (the hostess' sister's sister-in-law - i.e. Transitional Aunty) and minding my own business when my mind suddenly sprang to attention on the topic of potential suitors that Aunty S was looking at for her daughter, one year older than me. Then, all eyes turned to look at me. I pretended I was suddenly very interested in the purple embroidered cushion I was holding in my lap, but could feel the stares burning holes in me. Oh good God, here we go.

>>"Sooo, how about AKA here? How's school going? Almost done?"

>Oh no, a direct question. Which one said it? They're all looking at me sitting in this corner. Too late to escape to the bathroom. Can I pretend someone is calling me? No, they'll never fall for it.
"It's going well, not done yet, I just started in September so about 3 years to go" I say, attempting to plaster a smile on my face.

>>"3 years? Wow, long time. We'll have to get you married before that! Ha ha ha! Girl's shouldn't wait too long. All the good boys will be taken. You're how old now? 23?

> Mommy, help. Please!? "Uh, no, I turned 24 in October"

People, I could feel the wave of shock spread through the room. It's was a somewhat muffled but collective *gasp*

Like so many other girls in the South Asian culture, I'm tired of being made to feel ancient and good only if I'm married. I do want the marriage and the family but I'm just doing it at a different pace than others. I think my own parents feel caught in the middle - they would prefer that I be married, but can't force the issue because they want me to finish school.

On the other hand, I don't want people to misunderstand my culture to think that it is some unrefined and orthodox way of thinking. I have never been discouraged from pursuing a higher form of education. Both my grandmothers were teachers - one even having a Master's in the Urdu language - though, in their time the system of education was different, where they would have started college around the age of 16.

Being born and raised in Canada has made it difficult for me and others who were also born/raised here to find a fine balance between the two, very clashing, cultures. Add a heavy dose of religion and you contribute more twists and turns to the tangle of knots. I know that no one has it easy, regardless of the form of background and upbringing you have, but most are apt to believe that there situation is more poignant than others only because they are living it and not just imagining themselves in another's shoes.

I've lost my train of thought...where was I? Ah, yes, trying to block the images of all the 'Aunties' staring at me in vain shock. What happened after that is a blur to me but I do remember one of my mom's nicer friends chiming in about how I had lots of time to get married and that girls in general were getting married later and later. Then she launched into a number of examples of girls who were becoming doctors, engineers, teachers or setting up their career in other jobs and not yet married. Which I believe then eventually lead into a conversation about which brand of basmati rice was better. At this point I had stopped holding my breath and was trying to get the ringing in my ears to stop so I'm not so sure...
18 Comments:
Blogger Hash & Hana said...
Hahahaha you really should be a writer!! InshAllah when it's meant to be it shall be.

Blogger Chamak said...
The nice desi auntie was a godsend! She came to your rescue ;).
Nice blog. Keep up the great writing.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
What you should have said is 'But where will they find a nice girl for me?'

The gasp would have been bigger.

Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...
Hi 1/2 Cup (reminds me of Half-Pint Laura Ingalls from Little House!) Feel free to do a contest like the one I am doing!

I think it's very cool you've experienced so many different areas of living--you've probably got amazing stories to share!

Blogger Roohi said...
AKA! I know exactly how you feel. It's the same way with me. Especially after my brother got engaged, so many aunties were like..."you're getting your son married before your daughter?"

I do feel bad for my mom though cuz even though she would like to see me get married, she's stuck between what I want and all this nonsense the aunties are filling her head with.

Blogger Recovering D said...
That's an awesome aunty! Props to her. I wish more people felt as she did and didn't like to point out who they feel is "getting too old" and needs to be married. Haven't these ladies looked at divorce stats lately? People who marry young are WAY more likely to divorce than people who marry after school, career, etc.

Blogger AKA said...
Hana - thanks for the comment :) I'm working on it..!

Zed - I made a small prayer for her afterwards lol. Thanks for the comments!

Haleem - good idea for next time... although I have a feeling I will be shipped off to India the next day by my parents haha

Manic Mom - I'm going to put up that post very soon! Moving so much has had its ups and downs but I'm glad for the experience

Roohi - I never understood the brother-before-sister thing; when it's meant to happen for someone than it should be.

ABCDlaw - divorce stats these days are just scary; it's unfortunate that it's happening a lot more in every community (possibly because the stigma is slowly fading), but somehow I think pointing it out won't help matters much with people like this!

Blogger The Dummy said...
I always hated family parties. They're so awkward, and people you hardly really know always asked in the LOUDEST tone - so, do you have a girlfriend? - knowing full well I didn't at the time. Yes, relatives suck.

See you at the roll call!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
The sensible aunty should go to EVERY SINGLE DESI party and smack them all with that rescue speech...

I don't go to those parties either for the same reason!

i've always thought that every indian girl has an expiration date. once we reach the age of 28ish and we're still not married, everyone thinks that there's something wrong with US. i went to a wedding reception a few months ago and everyone who came to talk to my mom and me were gup-shupping about when i was going to get married, its like they have absolutely nothing better to talk about. they're concerned about me being single for too long, and once i hit a certain age (ie my expiry date) men will not be interested in marrying me. *sighs* i do want to get married, but i want to do it on my own time and on my own terms. sometimes i feel like that's asking too much...

Blogger Humz said...
Luv the new look of the blog. Ladies I think it's time to retaliate. The aunties vs. the singles round one! Next time an auntie comes up to you and says so when you getting married - say something like I've decided to become a monk, or I believe in common law marriages or that I have a kala boyfriend thank you very much. I say we go for the shock factor! Or we could just get ugly and say auntie wow you've gained a lot of weight since I last saw you - does everyone just let themselves go when they get married or your breath smells please dont talk to me - that should shut them up.

Blogger Sarah said...
Hahahahaha Humarah.. you cease to amaze me. The one problem with telling the Aunties any of that is.. u will be jhaapar'd by the Aunty.. then when u get home you'll get dbl jhaapar'd by ur Mama.

But lemme know how it goes :P

Blogger youngMuslimah said...
hi..
I guess this happens with the desis in the west..
for me, it's even worse! i'm only like, 19 and a few days back some auntie told my mom about some 'very good guy's' parents are hunting for a girl, and how i would be perfect for him..right in front of me!! i went really mad..
then a couple of days back, this auntie sat right next to me, and asked my home number( i resisted the urge to give out the wrong number)..soon the 'nice guy's ' mom calls, and my mama refuses, grateful to that..
i still got to do loads in life before i plan to settle down..maybe after 5 years..cos i personally feel a girl, a Muslim girl should get married by 26 at least..
sorry for the long comment!

Blogger AKA said...
Dummy: it's the age old "can't live with them, can't live without them" deal. Though I do believe I could do without...

Ruby: If only I could invite Sensible Aunty everywhere...or at least make my mom that aunty :p

CSB: (I shortened it ;)) Ahhh the wedding gupshup - so much more poisonous than the house party gupshup. And unfortunately for us, it is asking too much. If only I had the time to go into a longer rant...

Humz: Dude, where ya been!? Thanks for dropping by. And if you do ever say something like that to an aunty, PLEASE make sure I am around to see it :D

Sarah: I'm more worried about the double jhaapar than the single... because that one will be followed with other consequences (ie. being banished from the country)

Frenchita: 19...if only I was that again. You definitely have tons of time to achieve everything you want, both professionally and personally. You'll still get the odd people calling, but as long as your parents aren't pressuring you, you'll be fine :) (no need to apologize for the length of comment!)

Blogger youngMuslimah said...
aka, :)

I honestly couldn't relate much to the aunties you wrote about..I think aunties in the west grew up in India and later immigrated... Things have changed back home in India. None of my aunties( at least not the ones I know of)keep bugging me and my mom.They all want me to study and make a career. I think your aunties being away from India for a long time are not aware of the change.
are you a Muslim? Cos if you're, I can tell you how to try and make the aunties shut up. Tell them casually, ' you know there's a Hadith, the Prophet(saw) said ' Part of being a Muslim is not engaging in matters that do not concern you'...hope that works! :)

Blogger Yusuf said...
Assalamualaikum...

Darn, you have the subsections nailed. I couldn't describe it any better...

Good things come to those who wait. I am almost in the same shoes as you, contemplating on 'wasting' three years on law school. But I imagine how much harder it would be for a woman...

Blogger AKA said...
Frenchita: You could be very right about the different in east-west aunties. Unfortunately I have very little family left back in India and the last time I visited was when I was 6 so I have nothing to comapre it to. And yes, Alhumdulillah I am Muslim - THANK YOU for that hadith! I will use it whenever I can :)

Yusuf: Walaikumasalam - what can I say - the subsections are a universal thing. I don't know exactly how it would feel to be in your shoes, but I will say that I do love law school and I'm not sorry for having chosen it and sidestepping the early marriage ordeal. Thanks for the comment :)

Blogger MH said...
This comment has been removed by the author.