Tuesday, April 19, 2005
'C' is for cookie - and calorie count, too?

I thought this article was pretty amusing but sad. It turns out that Sesame Street is now jumping on the band wagon and has begun promoting healthy eating and living habits. Though I'm all for a healthy lifestyle, it's a sad day when the Cookie Monster has to start singing about how cookies are "sometimes" foods and carrot sticks are "everyday" foods. He's the Cookie Monster! The word cookie is embedded in his name so regardless of what he's eating, they can't change what he stands for - cookies!

It's not the cookies that get me worried, it's that kids these days seem to be more and more beyond a parent's control that television shows have reverted to teaching children what is good and bad. I understand that parents are busier these days - pressure adds up from all ends of life and certain things get put on the back burner. But teaching children about healthy living habits seems pretty fundamental to me. I'm not criticizing any parents out there and not being a parent myself, I don't have a right to. But things like diabetes, ADHD, child obesity, and other preventable illnesses have become accepted in our society these days as being inevitable, where really the root of the problem can be stopped before it starts.

Kids will always like junk food over broccoli. That's just an innate feature they come with. My sister will always choose Cheetos over an apple when given the choice, and at the tender age of 6, she really doesn't have her mind on healthy eating. But, we've found that if she sees us eating an apple, carrots etc, or we've explained that oranges are as much of a treat as a lollipop, she seems to cave and go with the healthier choice. Whats better is that when we're eating better, she is quick to imitate.

The "secrets" from the article I thought were hilarious - but I didnt figure out it was made up until I read the one about American Idol (I really thought that Queer Eye... thing was true!). But what if this all comes true?? To be honest I don't think it's that far off. Ever since those two ladies in the US sued McDonald's and other fast food places for being the cause of their obesity, I believe pretty much anything. But what I didn't want to believe was that the Cookie Monster was no longer going to eat cookies. One day Cookie Monster...one day you'll have all the cookies you want...
5 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
we definitely can't blame Shazia's parents for her "severe" case of ADHD :)

I wonder what caused it though ... LOL

faisal.

Blogger AKA said...
LOL - I think it'll take science awhile to figure out her unique case :p

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I also think parents are somewhat responsible for child obesity. I mean, you can't really blame television... cookie monster has been around for years, but obesity has not... if its really tv's fault, ie. all the ads and commercials watched by children, then regulate what and how much tv kids are watching... it seems tho, through this article, that some television shows have recognized this problem and are trying to do something about it... which is good, but i still think primary responsibility lies with the parents... sorry parents out there, but i blame you! :P

Blogger RandomLiterati said...
Are you making fun of me because I need attention and I get distracted easily??? LOL and no its not my parents fault =P

I heard something on the radio today about childhood obesity being on the rise and how the work over the years fighting it is essentially going down the drain. I think junk food is just more convenient and easily accessible, and lets face it. Nowadays if we can find a shortcut to anything we'd pretty much take it. For example right now in order to give myself more energy I should ideally be consuming something with a higher glycemic index...like yogurt. But I'm not. I'm pretty much surviving and relying on coke and caffeine to keep awake. Parents are very influential on the habits their kids form and sometimes they don't take the time to enforce as much of a healthy lifestyle as they could. Not just eating habits, but attitude as well. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that kids are a lot more rude these days?! There is a huge lack of respect. Anyways I know this is long and I've gone off on tangents but what can you expect at 2am from a highly caffeinated and easily distracted person?? :)

Blogger Sarah said...
rs -- ur right about how we can't draw direct parallels from TV or blame the bechaara cookie monster for child obesity. I mean I grew up watching Cookie Monster.. and hey i turned out okay! We can however attribute child obesity to the psycho increase in a variety of indoor, sit on ur butt type activities. Leave Cookie alone! Advocating healthy eating is a good start.. but it's got to start at a really young age and maintain appealing ads on tv. Ok those are my 2 cents