Wednesday, April 13, 2005
"In this day and age, when everybody wants to be different, when everybody wants to be a revoluntionary and do some crazy thing that no one has done before, normalcy is a true revolution"

I am not sure where I read or heard that. By normalcy I mean "things that are normal for a person under his/her circumstances". I do realize its a relative term - what may be normal for me may not be normal for anybody else. But, I am just not a big fan of changing things drastically in one's life for the sake of shocking people or because there is a big void in one's life and they want to fill it up with the cheap thrill for the attention they would get by being "different", but mind you, wanting to go skydiving does not come under the latter. I've never wanted attention (period) so this wouldn't be the time to start. The hope of going skydiving is just to experience something different and to step out of the norm that limits my life - I'm not looking to get some sort of epiphany (but always welcome them whenever and wherever).

It's the same reason I'd like to travel the world and learn to do all sorts of things. I want to
learn sign language
become more fluent in French
learn Spanish
learn to drive an standard car and a motorcycle (any volunteers to help?)
take up photography
take up painting
write a book
learn to knit...properly (I've had a 3-inch section I've been working on for like a month)
learn to play the drums (again, volunteers?)
learn to play the piano (messing around with Shoeb's keyboard has got me nowhere)
go rock climbing
work for the UN
be a hospital aid in Africa
find out how they get the caramel in the Caramilk bar
learn to skate (!!!!), and
save the world (ok, so this one might get me some attention :P)

I've got lots more to add but it only makes me uneasy because I know I dont have the time to do it all because somewhere along the way I've got to finish law school and so on. Now under some circumstances, one has to break the norms and sometimes you just need to do "different" things to learn more about yourself and experience life in different ways. But at the same time you have to stay within given limits and maintain stability in your life, so how exactly do you keep a balance?

The quote at the beginning doesn't make sense anymore though. If everyone wants to be different, then maybe that is part of our self-exploration journey to want to be different and in the end this quality becomes the norm.

I have no idea how many tangents I've gone off on in this post and whether it makes sense at all....but then maybe I'm just not normal and that's how it's going to be ;)
2 Comments:
Blogger RandomLiterati said...
What?! I did the quiz and it says I'm 28!!!

That's an interesting quote, and you really do see it a lot these days...people trying to be different and unique. While I'm all for the "express yourself" there are just some forms which I can't understand, but then again maybe I'm not meant to. Maybe people look at me and say the same thing, I don't know. But thats about BEING "normal". Doing something out of the ordinary or different is what most people need in order to take a break from their "normal routine"...I don't know if skydiving counts though :P I personally would love to go to a third world country adn just help out...it would be awesome.

Oh yeah and the Caramilk secret...I know it and you know what, its not that exciting...you'll be disappointed

Blogger AKA said...
Well don't just sit there!!! TELL ME!!! At least I can cross one thing off the list :S