Wednesday, January 19, 2005
Fear factor: 44 percent of Americans queried in Cornell national poll favor curtailing some liberties for Muslim Americans

I didn't know quite how to feel about this article. It was certainly a mix of emotions - fear, disgust, anger and bewliderment would likely sum it up. I don't know whether to blame America, or Americans, or whether to blame anyone. It'd be too easy to turn the heat twoards the media or on "Dubya" and his gang of bandits. I mean sure, theyre definitely a part of the problem by spreading biased stories that cause more hatred towards Muslims and Islam. But I also blame me. I blame myself for not being more proactive and helping to spread a more positive outlook on Islam. Had I written to newspapers or called into radio shows dicussing related topics, maybe I'd have reached more people. I could write a book. Why not? I've got the time and patience and aptitude. I think a lot of people do. But what exactly stops us. It's great when we get those sparks of ideas in our head from time to time, or at least I do. Walking through Zellers just last week I thought about a conversation I had with my manager about Islam and how he had read in Irshad Manji's book that in Islam we aren't allowed to question things. I explained to him that this was not true and he was very interested and understanding. But as I weaved through aisles in the store, I realized, if there was one person like that, there's sure to be many.

The morning after the 9/11 attacks I called into a local radio show, which nornally was a Top 40's station gearing towards teens and wannabe teens, that was talking about the tradegy and taking callers a majority of whom were talking about where they were when they heard the news and how awful it was that it happened. Since the day before I heard continuously about who was the likely culprit and who was to blame. People kept referring to guilty as "they" and "them". "Why would they do such a thing", "How do we avoid them". I was getting ready for school that morning while listening when it hit me, what if I was considered one of "them"? Me and millions of other Muslims all over the world who had nothing to do with the attacks and were against such violence would undoubtedly become targets. Then one of those sparks hit me. I should call and say something - anything, help make it better. I grabbed the phone and called in. The phone was answered almost immediately and someone on the other end took my name and asked me what it was I wanted to say. Voice quivering I explained to him that I was a Muslim who wanted to explain to people that Muslims were against these attacks and wanted only for people not to blame anyone for what had happened. I was put on hold and some minutes later put on the air. Now, many of you might think that's no big deal, but I was nervous! My voice was shaking and I had no coherent sentence made up in my mind. The hosts were generous though and asked me questions and I repeated what I had told the guy who answered the phone. They readily agreed with me and once I hung up, I turned up the radio again and heard them urging people to be understanding and to indeed not place unnecessary blame. That was one of my few moments of glory. Not because I was on the radio, I'm sure many of us have called in to request songs or win some prize. I was hopeful that just maybe what I said meant something to someone listening. Someone who may have gone to work and looked suspiciously at the lady in the cubicle across from her with the last name "Mohammed", but now thought twice and decided not to.

It's those sparks we've got to grab. Those tiny little impulses swimming around in our head that sound worthy enough to be given a second thought. Now mind you, I did called a talk radio show that same evening (hoping to be more eloquent this time) and did get on air again, only to be shot down by the host of the show and hung up on as I was speaking (to this day I will not listen to CFRB 1010). My point is that we need to get out there and do something profound however miniscule the scale is. If Carpe Diem (Seize the Day) is too much, try Carpe Occasio (Seize the Opportunity) [yes I looked up the word...the nerd I am].

Although I've gone off on a different tangent from what the article talks about, restricting civil liberties for Muslim Americans also raises questions of rights, democracy and equailty. Though I don't believe that any such actions will be (publicly) implemented, it's still disturbing to know that such a large number of the respondents in the poll agreed with these drastic measures. I remember post-911 hearing about vandalized mosques and attacks on women and men who either were distinctly Muslim, or resembling so. My own cousin was threatened and her friend had her head scarf pulled off by a woman who began slapping her while screaming vulgarities. I'm fairly confident in my belief that Canadians would not openly resort to such hatred or acts (though I have heard rumors about such attacks...) the US isn't so far away from us. We can take advantage of this as well by seizing moments to better not only ourselves but to increase tolerance and acceptance in totality.