Friday, November 10, 2006
I went back and forth about posting this.

Have ever had some deep hidden talent or desire and wanted to tell people about it but were afraid of what they would say or think about you and your ability to do it? I envy those who have no idea what I'm talking about - either because they don't have such a hidden desire or have actually gone out and fulfilled it. Being in this limbo state is what drives you crazy.

I'm known (to those who know me well enough) for not going through with things. Not the greatest thing to be known for. I'll start off excited and enthusiastic with an idea or project, but just as quickly lose interest. Maybe I need to be on amphetamines (the partially-legal kind). I don't know what it is, but I tend to back down on a lot of things I want to say or do. Luckily this blog came along (2 year anniversary this week...who'd have thought) and somehow I've stuck with it...for now.

So there's this thing I want to do. Tried doing it. Then stopped. Then started. And now stopped again. Only a couple people have known about it and they have been as lovely and supporting as I could hope for. But despite their encouragement I haven't followed through with it.

What worsens my folly of not completing things is my keenness to procrastinate. Deadly combination. Why do it today if I can do it tomorrow. Heck, it's the reason why I've got my Contracts book open but have somehow wandered away from it now.

Excuses. These are all just excuses someone will tell me. And even though I'll agree with them, I'll still keep using them. And pretty convincingly, I may add.

So what's my hidden aspiration?

I want to write a novel.




There. Said it - it's out for the world to see. And now I'm cringing as I write this fully knowing that I will
not post this even though I am fervently typing away.

Or maybe I will. Or maybe I'll post it for a day, realize I'm being stupid and then delete it.

What I did do was sign up for NaNoWriMo - National Novel Writing Month. And as a participant I'm given a month to finish a novel and submit it to the site to add to their word count.

Despite my procrastinating attitude, I work well under pressure, and a this seemed like a good kick-in-the-pants way to get started. Though to be fair, I've only found out about it today, and so I'm late getting started.

I've had many ideas for a novel since being interested in writing long ago. I have one major idea that I keep going back to and hope that if I ever do take the plunge, that will be the first one I do. I won't reveal the storyline - I haven't told anyone that - just that it's based on a true story in my life and one that's very dear to me. For the NaNoWriMo I've opted for a lighter and more fun story though, but with so much happening with school, who knows if I'll meet my "deadline".

Even though I'm nervous to tell people about this desire to write, I thought putting it out there would put more pressure on me to actually complete something of substance. I think the three people I've actually told this to before will be very happy.

Moreover, I'm doing it for myself. But any and all words of encouragement or criticism would be appreciated (though keep the criticism on medium heat - I'm fragile). I'll thank you back when the book-based movie comes out.

Wish me luck.
3 Comments:
Blogger Hash & Hana said...
I can totally see you writing a novel! You have a great talent in writing - use it!

Hana

Blogger singlemuslimah said...
Go for it! You're a great writer.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Yeah!
I'm excited..still waiting for my b-day present