Thursday, October 06, 2005
True to the name of my blog, this post is nothing but a streaming list of rambling thoughts.

§ I figured since I have nothing meaningful to post that this would be the next best thing. Well that’s a half truth. I had started, and pretty much finished, a somewhat lengthy post on blame-pushing when my computer started to act funny and slow, leaving my blogger screen as frozen as the shocked expression on my face. I mean I was really on a roll with some actually interesting points and arguments and ranting!

Serves me right I guess, because though I well know how temperamental my computer can be, and despite making several mental notes about typing my posts out in Word before transferring to blogger, I started typing away in the blogger posting box. When the computer started to act out, I vainly and frantically tried to click on the "Save as Draft" button to rescue my precious post. But just as my luck goes, it was a little too late and I had to hit the forbidden Ctrl+Alt+Del keys to restart my computer. Plus I was downloading some episodes of "Lost" so the morality fairy probably stung me for that one.

§ It’s oddly quiet around the house with my parents away, and it’s a little disheartening to realize how much you appreciate people more when they’re gone. I’m used to having them around to bug when I get home from work in the evening and we have our little routine of watching Everybody Loves Raymond for a bit in the evening, and now the routine is just out of whack with them gone and Ramadan starting. I don’t mind the not watching TV bit, but I don’t have much else to distract myself with, especially since I can’t sleep much.

§ Well, another half truth. Besides upping the amount of prayers and readings, I’ve taken to reading Anne of Green Gables for about the millionth time. When I moved away to Malaysia back in 1996, these and a couple other were the only books I was able to salvage from the host of things we threw out before moving. I hadn’t read the books before moving, but decided to take them along. Sadly, oddly, and a little pathetically, the three "Anne" books I got in this set as gift were a huge solace to me while in Malaysia. I’ve read them through a countless number of times, to the point where I started memorizing passages. But when we were moving back, there was less room in our luggage so I was forced to toss the books. That was about 1998.

Since then I had thought about the stories in passing but never bothered to get them from the library. But a couple weeks ago I suddenly had the urge to not only read the books, but to have a set of my own. So off to eBay I went and found someone selling the exact set that I had so I snatched it up (thank goodness for the "Buy It Now" option!"). So I got the books on Tuesday and read through the first one by this evening.

§ I think Rogers is out to get us. Seriously. That monopoly of a corporation, has now managed to cause trouble with our home phone lines, cable, and internet. I think their mocking us, or have concocted some twisted way of cutting us off from the world, and I expect our cell phones to go next.

A little over a month ago, we switched from Bell to Rogers for our home phones lines, because of a special offer they were giving their "VIP" customers. It was for their new digital phone service. Since they’re such a big company and the offer seemed good, we made the switch. Who knew they never actually meant to give us a service!

We’ve had problem after problem and 5 technicians were sent to our home, 3 of which were "senior and experienced" but who didn’t seem to know one end of the phone from the other. Apparently other people who’ve switched are having problems too, so at least we’re not alone. Now my mom runs her business from home, so she’s lost tons of business because now all her client’s hear when they call is a busy tone. We haven’t had any land lines for about 2 weeks now despite frustrating calls to the technical support. And now somehow the phone system has messed with our digital cable and internet so that it works on and off, according to it’s own will.

And now with my parents away, I’ve had to use my cell to make long distance calls because the calling card I bough wouldn’t work on my cell! Spread the word people, don’t buy into Rogers home phone now matter how cheap they give it to you!

§ That’s enough ranting for now…if I have the nerve to retype my entire blame-pushing post then you’ll see it here soon enough, otherwise it’ll be lost to that whole other place where all my other posts have gone! §
5 Comments:
Blogger Sarah said...
You're on a roll Deej! I think I had like 2 posts in September... life got a bit hectic and I got a bit lazy.

Where'd your parents go?? It's 8:56 in the morn.. and I'm tempted to take a nap.. well a continuation of the one i half took in the car... but NO I will be productive today! Haven't seen you since the Dholki man... let's do something! Ramadan Mubarak btw.. :)

Blogger AKA said...
Parents are gone for ummrah for 1 week :( (but :D at the same time). They'll be back Tuesday inshAllah!!!

Blogger Roohi said...
Yay! Alhumdulillah! I wanna go for Umrah too!!! :) Insha'Allah some day. How are you Deeja? Long time no talk...will you be able to make it on the 16th? Try to come ok?!?!?! Even if it's only for a lil while...

Blogger Sarah said...
Ohh Mash'Allah! That is awesome... but yeah i know whachu mean it's a bit bittersweet bc you miss them but you know what I've heard (not sure how authentic this is but..) performing Umrah in Ramadan is like performing Hajj! So insh'Allah they will get the blessings of Hajj! Ameen.

Blogger twistedbrick said...
Don't you hate it when you've written the longest e-mail or the most insightful blog but then the computer freezes?