Sunday, September 11, 2005
I think I get bored way too easily. Could mean a mild case of ADD or just a healthy sense of curiosity and exploration for newer things (I tend to go with the second one).

Take this very blog space. I can't seem to be satisfied with one layout or background so keep changing it to what I hope is better (I'm searching/working on another one so this blogger-provided one is temporary).

But as I put more deeper thought into the matter, I don't think I'm alone. It seems these days we're less satisfied with different aspects of our lives. That's why technology changes and "improves" every day; divorce rates climb as people are less satisfied with their spouses; and we clamber to find a new event to momentarily brighten our lives. No sooner did they come out with 60 gig hard drives, that 100 gigs are starting to become the norm (I'm still running on 36GB so don't complain about your macked out 60GB hard drive to me).

It could just be that the growing availability of options and choices allows us to be jaded by our surroundings enough that when any novel idea shows up, we tend to leap at it for fear it'll be gone if we blink. Like those damn iPods. Every iPod owner will swear it's the swankiest (I've been searching for a chance to use that word...I think it could be made cool again...no? Think it over) most life changing device to fall into their hands. Well if I laid down a hard-earned $300-$400 for the over-hyped (all the Apple-lovers are likely clenching their teeth...ha!) and not-so-swanky (need more time to think about that one?) device, I'd probably duct tape it to my arm.

But I found a great MP3 player for a fraction of the price that does all the things the iPod Mini does. Which doesn't say that I'm safe from bad decisions or bright, shiny gadgets or over-the-top sales pitches (still pinching myself over spending all that money on those shammies at the CNE! - The man was selling them for $20 and said they were made in Germany and called me a member of Destiny's Child, what the hell was I supposed to do!?)

Being constantly enticed by new choices causes us to question the ones we've already made. Which may have an up side to an extent. But as we question our trivial choices, doubt tends to slip in and cause confusion and many times we end up going for the choice that seems to be more promising.

We shouldn't have to settle for anything if we're able to take a more positive step. But on the same note, I think people are tangled with the "grass is greener on the other side" notion, so constantly strive to hop the fence to see if the other side is as lush as their minds have conjured it to be.

I'm also struggling to rid my mind of this whole idea. I don't want to be discomforted when I'm presented with a new product or choice or even an image of a person. I think part of growing up means you have to learn to be comfortable in your own skin while learning what 'your own skin' really means.

Swanky idea eh?

edit: After posting this at 12:18 AM, I came back to add that as of now, 12:24AM I am now moving on from trying out the word 'swanky'. How about jaunty?....Yeah didn't think so either....
6 Comments:
Blogger Sarah said...
I love the word swanky... and yeah i try to use it as much as possible.. you know jus drop it in the middle of a convo... but yeah it only works when discussing a hollywood party or something... so really like never. Jaunty... reminds me of the french word gentil...

Blogger Roohi said...
Swanky, hahaha! I haven't heard that word in a while, I'm gonna try to use that in a conversation now Insh'Allah! :D

Anonymous Anonymous said...
lol ur too funny girl. but u never know, u could be responsible for the comeback of those words ;)

ayesha

Blogger AKA said...
well when i go to a hollywood party i'll remember to use it lol.

aww thanks Roohi, such a supportive friend!

Blogger twistedbrick said...
Wow so many posts since I last visited! This post kind of ties in with the recent article I wrote about brands and self-esteem.

1) I agree with you about the iPod thing. People are just buying it because of the brand and everyone else has one. If people thought for themselves, they will find there are better devices in the market at a cheaper price. I have a 20GB Creative Zen and I'm proud of it! Before that, I had an Archos 10GB Jukebox - this came out before the iPods did too! I had to replace it with the Creative because it stopped working after 2.5 years.

2) I agree with you about always feeling the need to buy more. Just when I think I have enough money saved, something else comes up that I just NEED to buy (at the moment: concert tickets, black wrap cardigan, Raplh Lauren Blue and Kenzo D'Ete perfumes - I dropped my perfume bottle so I need to buy a new one, a blazer for upcoming job interviews, sports gear, new glasses frames).
I don't really need these, but I feel that I won't function right in society if I don't. I feel that I will have a better chance of getting the job or getting a more positive reponse from the new people I meet if I smell nice. I feel good when I smell nice. DAMN CONSUMERISM MENTALITY!!!!

Blogger twistedbrick said...
I also know what you mean about getting bored easily. I don't get bored easily but rather distracted easily, or I always feel a need to procrastinate. I spent the whole night once tinkering with one of my website profiles on Myspace. I wonder how many profiles I have on the internet. Scary.