Wednesday, August 24, 2005
"Hi, you've reached 416-xxx-xxxx...."

I have no explanation for it, but I'm incapable of leaving a message on an answering machine in one try. Maybe it's the availability of that "erase and re-record" option after you've pressed "#" that causes me to fumble my message the first (second, third, sometimes fourth) time around because I know I can start over if I forgot to throw in some information or I just sounded weird.

"Sorry, I'm not here to take you're call at the moment...."

Though when we call someone it's obvious we'd rather speak to that person right away than leave a message, but after that third ring when we know we're likely to hear their voice come up and ask for you to leave a message, I tense up and start racking my brain to come up with some coherent stream of words to be put together in a casual and clear message.

"Please leave me a detailed message..."

I use the basic who, what, where, when, how and why to sort out my thoughts before that tone goes off. Still I'm caught off guard and end up winging the message with a lot of suttering, mumbling and 'um' and 'annndd' and other filler words.

"..at the tone. Beep"

Oh crap, what did I need to say again? Oh right...

"Ahem...Hi! This is Khadeeja, I was calling in regards to... (who did I dial again? Ohh right.) um, I do need to hear back from you a.s.a.p. (shoot, shouldve said 'as soon as possible, sounds better) please call me back at 905 (damn I mean to say 416)..I mean, sorry, 416......Thank you (should I throw in a have a nice day? Why not, maybe they're having a bad one)...Have a good day (nice! I meant to say nice...ah well) #"

And when I do get through that message I have the urge to go back and listen to the jumble of sentences I've left on that poor soul's voice mail. As the playback starts I start editing my message for things I've left out and other things I didn't need to say.

Then comes attempt #2. "Ok," I say to myself, "just get it all in with one shot then just HANG UP...my name, why I'm calling, and my number, it's easy! Aaaaand..Go!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not exaggerating when I say that about 3 days ago I was leaving a message for a potential hiring manager at work and I had to re-record my message EIGHT times. A few times my voice sounded squeeky. Once I forgot to put in my name. Then a few times I didn't sound confident enough. Then in another I didn't sound friendly enough. Finally I blurted out a message (I had enough rehearsals after all) and hung up quickly before my finger had the chance to choose the option to review my message.

I still haven't heard back from her...maybe one more try would've helped?

You think that's bad? I haven't told you what I go through to set up my own voice mail....
4 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
FINALLY!!! And I completely understand about freaking out when leaving a message. I never leave a message unless I absolutely have to! Welcome back to blogging Deeja! :)

Blogger AKA said...
awwwwh my one and only fan :D Thanks Roo...at least you don't think i'm psycho after that

Anonymous Anonymous said...
hey, do you get mixed up as to which name to use too?... "hi, this is afreen, no, khadeeja, wait, u know me as afreen, so this is her" ... hahahaha... nice post btw...

Blogger AKA said...
lol, i go through that dilemma when I meet someone new, especially when there are people around me who call me by both. And no matter which name I use, somewhere later the whole topic comes up because that person gets confused. I blame my indecisive parents!